Windows Laptops with 4TB Internal SSD

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

TS-12 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:03 am4. Mouse cursor and strolling is so much better on windows. In Cubase scrolling is either too slow or too fast. ( this is the biggest reason for me ) apple mouse works decently but has extremely uncomfortable shape and doesn't have scroll wheel so it's unusable for me.
You know you can use any mouse you like with a Mac, right? If you buy a fancy gaming mouse, you may not get it's full functionality but you'll get the basics, including scroll-wheel and middle button. But you're right, the Magic Mouse is easily the most uncomfortable mouse I have ever used.
5. Hard to pick compatible external display for MacBook. Has to be 4K or higher and even than not all 4K monitors work well, often the images and text are blurry
I did not know that, it seems like a ludicrous situation (yet also unsurprising).

How are you going to use it? What are your priorities? Does it need to be super-light and ultra-portable or does it just need to be less hassle that carting a desktop around? Is battery life a big concern or will it be plugged in most of the time? (Mine is plugged in 99% of the time.)
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

TS-12 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:03 am 1. Ability to run outdated 32bit plugins on windows.
2. Cubase has weird glitch on Mac that no one knows how to solve: https://forums.steinberg.net/t/midi-alw ... /891292/10
3. Roland Cloud plugins down work well on M1 Macs for some users.
4. Mouse cursor and strolling is so much better on windows. In Cubase scrolling is either too slow or too fast. ( this is the biggest reason for me ) apple mouse works decently but has extremely uncomfortable shape and doesn't have scroll wheel so it's unusable for me.
5. Hard to pick compatible external display for MacBook. Has to be 4K or higher and even than not all 4K monitors work well, often the images and text are blurry
1) Backwards compatibility is a well known Windows advantage.

2) Those issues sound like a settings / device specific problem. (* See comments below)

3) Roland Cloud’s Mx issues mostly related to running Rosetta 2. Though, even when native, their "Legendary" analogue emulations don't use CPU efficiently on either platform. (They will use a fixed amount regardless of polyphony.. ).

4) This relates to polling rates and acceleration curves. Though Windows can have similar issues, it’s especially noticeable on Mac OS as Apple’s own devices work nicely with its OS defaults. You need device software to allow you to further adjust these settings. EG, for the current Mac OS, Logitech devices must have their G Hub software support (Many of their devices don’t have this support.. )

5) That’s not correct, and the same issues exist with “non-integer” scaling on Windows. People comment about it more, with Mac OS, because of "retina" displays. Mac OS defaults to scaling anything (other than native resolution) by 2X. This is because their retina displays are 2x the pixels of the resolution they intend you to actually use at that size. If the chosen resolution isn't an exact multiple it will still do the 2x upscaling but then has to scale that back to native resolution. This extra calculation eats GPU resources. The solution is either to turn this upscaling off on Mac OS (Sonoma: Show All Resolutions / Low Resolution), use the display at its native resolution, or choose a resolution which is an exact multiple (EG There is no issue with 1080 output on a 4k display as it’s an exact multiple of 2).

* Re 2: More things would have to be done, on the users side, to help narrow issues. The fact that it resets the channel output suggests it's more like the host is losing communication with the device momentarily. Check Cubase settings for sharing the audio device in the background and adjust if required. If not look up how to load Cubase whilst ignoring all existing settings, and see if this makes a difference. You can also try unplugging all connected devices (all USB etc) and see if it still does it, as well as other troubleshooting basics like seeing if you notice anything in Activity Monitor, disabling background login processes (Settings/General/Login Items) and trying a different audio device (Even a USB headset would suffice for testing purposes).

I don't think he's interested in fixing those problems, he probably realises Apple will just make new ones going forward. He's clearly sick of being treated like an ATM and who can blame him?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

15 years ago windows computers needed lots of tweaking to have stable performance now it seems the opposite.
I've installed Cubase with Roland Cloud VSTis and other plugins on a computer at work that is running different software for controlling various hardware devices and Cubase works fine with all those plugins.
And most importantly mouse and scrolling works perfect with a $10 mouse, adjusting EQ and various other parameters in Cubase work just like it has to. Unlike on Mac when it's either moves a tiny amount or jumps a huge amount.
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

TS-12 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:05 am15 years ago windows computers needed lots of tweaking to have stable performance now it seems the opposite.
It does? I reckon variables, which can influence DAW performance, appear greater than ever. Have you let Pictus know? ;)
I've installed Cubase with Roland Cloud VSTis and other plugins on a computer at work that is running different software for controlling various hardware devices and Cubase works fine with all those plugins
Ok. If most plugins aren’t working similarly well for you, under either OS, that’s not typical and something is wrong. Wipe and clean install your OS. If there’s still issues I don’t know what to say since my own experiences have (thus far) been good on Apple Silicon.
And most importantly mouse and scrolling works perfect with a $10 mouse, adjusting EQ and various other parameters in Cubase work just like it has to. Unlike on Mac when it's either moves a tiny amount or jumps a huge amount.
As mentioned, it’s usually about poll rates and acceleration curves. Having a smaller market share comes with some consequences. It’s unlikely (non-Apple) hardware is going to be tweaked to play nicely with Mac OS defaults. Apple’s easy solution is to buy Apple hardware. Otherwise you must choose options which allow going beyond the basic OS settings to adjust these things (Logitech G Hub etc). For Cubase, hardware controllers are another option (Except for Steinberg, since they've discontinued all of their Cubase controllers atm!!)

PAK wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:35 pm

As mentioned, it’s usually about poll rates and acceleration curves. Having a smaller market share comes with some consequences. It’s unlikely (non-Apple) hardware is going to be tweaked to play nicely with Mac OS defaults. Apple’s easy solution is to buy Apple hardware. Otherwise you must choose options which allow going beyond the basic OS settings to adjust these things (Logitech G Hub etc). For Cubase, hardware controllers are another option (Except for Steinberg, since they've discontinued all of their Cubase controllers atm!!)
yes as I said before, it takes more tweaking to get thing work on Mac than on windows.
on windows you plug in any mouse and it just works smoothly, ANY mouse.
on Mac such basic things need to be tweaked by 3rd party apps. and even then you gotta try which 3rd party app worked best for certain mouse

PAK wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:35 pm Ok. If most plugins aren’t working similarly well for you, under either OS, that’s not typical and something is wrong. Wipe and clean install your OS. If there’s still issues I don’t know what to say since my own experiences have (thus far) been good on Apple Silicon.
wipe and clean entire OS ? umm what a solution. in order to try to get things to work one has to wipe clean their entire OS, reinstall and reauthorize all the plugins.
While someone on windows simply installed the software and plugins and they just simply work and they just can focus on music. A Mac user has to go thru such huge hassles and even then the solution to the problem is not guaranteed

I've got a Lenovo Legion 5 and it has a secondary SSD slot drive, which I loaded with a 4TB (So I have 1TB +4TB)

TS-12 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:39 pmwipe and clean entire OS ? umm what a solution.
I mentioned several other things you’d typically try first. So implying you must immediately jump to a reinstall appears disingenuous at best. If problems have non-obvious causes, or the person has a limited ability to trouble-shoot, sometimes it’s just quicker to start over - This is true for either OS.

In terms of your experience, I don’t think it’s typical, and mine have been the opposite. But, if something just isn’t working for you, there’s no sense in wasting time and money on it. Use what works for you. Though, if Cubase has strange problems, configuration files can be the source a surprising amount of the time. I manually copy settings into new versions, rather than import previous settings. :)

I noticed many state dual ssd laptops.
I guess its better for me to get a dual drive laptop and fill both with high capacity drives, that way I can go even more than 4TB

It looks like all ADK Audio Laptops offer at least 2 M.2 slots which can each have upto 8TB.

https://www.adkproaudio.com/audio-video ... on-laptops

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”