Online Activation

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Until this last Monday, for all of 2023 and the first 3 weeks of '24 I had to be connected to wifi to work. If the connection was lost, I would get an error message regarding iLok authorizations, and either I would get back on, or if not have to close both a Cubase project and an MIR Pro 3D project and later when I began using VE Pro again, all 3. Last place I resided had a rock-solid wifi. I moved in December and in the new place the provided wifi is shit. I started paying xfinity 10 bucks a month, then the second month went to 20. It's shit as well. Slightly better than the housing project's but it's sketchy. (I am not going to have them come in with their hardware drilling holes in the wall and all this shit, and be responsible for expensive af hardware, been there/done that and f**k no.)
It was a nightmare.

I paid $48.83 for the USB key last week, came a day earlier than the ETA. So on Monday I moved 150 licenses (everything but 3 things which are legacy, pre-Apple silicon versions I own the current licenses for) to the key. A lot of it was two licenses in one (VSL 'full' vs basic) so it wasn't as bad as "150" looks. But, I noticed that every single thing I have ever put in iLok I still have a license for, including things that were tied to computers I ain't got.
Speaking of which, I had some asshole with one (or more?) of the stolen machines closing my cloud session frequently so even with 100% sure thing wifi I would have to run a process.

So, I had three old machines, none of them with anything crucial for what I do, with iLok License Manager that all had to be cleared out by iLok. Their support was literally the most responsive and efficient I've ever experienced. It used to be that clearing an activation for transfer had to happen from the vendor, eg., soundtoys etc. For this, iLok did it all for me. And did it within a day every time. Some of the things I have redundant licenses for as a byproduct of all this.

The key is a little damn thing, solid aluminum or something, you couldn't break it if you had to. iLok is fantastic in my book.

The new ones are USB-C?
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:14 am The new ones are USB-C?
they're selling both usb-a and usb-c versions at the moment.

plus a limited-edition rainbow namm one because...reasons.

Thank you, everyone, for your perspectives. Much appreciated! :tu:
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

i never had to deal with online activation
i only use freeware at the moment
i have other problems
getting good at songwriting is my main problem
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”