Linnstrument for guitarists

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Folks,
Iʻve had my Linnstrument for over a year, but have only now decided to commit some serious time to it. Iʻm a high level guitarist with a strong background in theory and know my fingerboard in terms of scales,modes chords and voicings fairly thoroughly (though it is never ending, right?).
At this point Iʻm trying to figure out the best approach to translate my guitar knowledge to the Linnstrument. Some of the challenges are: Re-fingering of voicings, two-handed voicings, more than one note playable simultaneously on a single "string (row). One thing that would help (I think) is to re-arrange the reference lights. As a guitarist, seeing a marker on the 3rd, 5th, 7th 10th and 12th columns on the Linnstrument) would correspond to the layout of a guitar neck. The existing arrangement of lighting "C" or some other pitch, while logical, still is somewhat disorienting to me at this early stage. Any thoughts on this particular issue? And are there any tutorials with best practices in how to approach fingering chords voicing? Thanks in advance for your help on this.
Jim Guss

I'm a career guitar player, who occasionally gets tasked with playing keys, and in this regard, the LinnStrument was a godsend. The first few years, I simply shut all the lights off except for 'C', to serve as pseudo-fretmarkers if you will, because I felt crowded by having all those scale lights lit (I also found them blinding onstage in the dark).

Anyway, that worked alright for a while, but I was nevertheless always fighting the lights, for the same reason you've cited above. To which end, the very second the custom lights configuration was implemented, I immediately setup proper fretmarkers for myself in a single color, and felt instantly at home again.

There is a preset lights pattern in the Scale Select section called "guitar neck dots", but it's a little busy for my taste, and only falls down the very middle of the playing surface, which can leave you a little disoriented towards the edges.

As such, I made my own template, with neatly spaced fretmarkers that extend to the edges, yet are spaced out enough that I don't feel crowded. Basically (if you can follow me here), I have dots on all the usual frets (columns in this case), starting with the nut (which helps visually, because otherwise the 5th fret looks like the 6th, spacing wise); but I only put the dots on rows 1, 3, 6, and 8 (this leaves some room to breathe, and feels less like a wall).

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Seriously, as a guitarist, the LinnStrument literally changed my life profoundly for the better.

Cheers!

Hi jguss,

Thanks for owning a LinnStrument. If you'd like to make your LinnStrument as guitar-like as possible:

1) To arrange the row pitches to the same as guitar tuning with 2 extra fourths at the bottom:
In Global Settings > Row Offset columns, select "Guitar". Then exit Global Settings.

2) To change the lights to look like guitar neck dots:
In Global Settings > View column, select "Scale Sel". And in the Note Lights On/Off colunns, select "A". Then exit Global Settings.

Further to this, if you're anything like me, and don't like the default 8-string guitar tuning; I opted to tune the bottom two rows to E and A (in the bass guitar range) instead.

This way, it's like having a 6-string guitar on top of a 2-string bass.

I mean, seriously, aside from maybe Charlie Hunter, what self-respecting guitarist knows what to do with a low F sharp. ;)

Cheers!
Last edited by John the Savage on Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi John and Roger,
Thank you both for the replies. John, could you point me to a video or tutorial link that talks about custom "fret" markers such as what describe above. That seems like it can get me up and running with less brain damage. As for the complete 4ths layout, or the guitaristic 3rd between G and B, could you weigh in on the what you think the pros and cons are, and what you ended up doing in the long run?
Thanks for your input. I can tell this is going to be a really helpful community.

The custom lights configuration is a function of the LinnStrument itself. You'll find it in the Global Settings as part of the Scale Select parameters. Everything you need to know about it can be found in the Manual here, under the Global Settings tab:

https://www.rogerlinndesign.com/support ... l-settings

But here's the pertinent excerpt:
To Edit one of these 3 custom light patterns, enter Global Settings then:
1) HOLD Scale Select memory A, A# or B. You have now entered the light editor screen and the existing contents of the selected memory will appear.
2) To set the color of a pad: repeatedly press the blinking Switch 1 button until it shows your desired color, rotating through the 10 available colors. Then press any note pad to change it to that color.
3) To erase any note pad: hold it.
4) To erase many note pads: press 2 pads that are 2 corners of a rectangle that includes the pads to be erased.
5) To save your changes and exit the editor: press Global Settings to turn it off and return to the normal performance lights.
As far as the authentic "Guitar Tuning" is concerned, it doesn't boast any real ergonomic advantages per se. Not that I've found anyway. Every note layout boasts pros and cons. Therefore, all things being equal, for me it simply boils down to familiarity.

There has been much debate here, over what the "best" tuning scheme is. To which end, my answer staunchly remains that the best tuning scheme is the one that speaks to you, makes you want to play, or (in our case perhaps) the one you already know.

For me, keeping with standard 6-string guitar tuning means that everything I do on guitar translates directly to the LinnStrument... No brain farts. :tu:

And, jokes aside, the reason I tune the lower two rows like a bass guitar is simply because being able to reach that low E1 is paramount for most modern rock and pop music. It's also nice to find it at the nut. You know, where it's supposed to be. ;)

Cheers!

Hi jguss,

You can "tune" LinnStruments rows however you wish, just like any stringed instrument. To learn how, open the Panel Settings page, Global Settings tab, then search for "Independent Row Tunings".

jguss wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:32 pm At this point Iʻm trying to figure out the best approach to translate my guitar knowledge to the Linnstrument. Some of the challenges are: Re-fingering of voicings, two-handed voicings, more than one note playable simultaneously on a single "string (row)...
I wanted to speak to this directly...

My best advice is to take what you can from the guitar (and indeed, much of the skill and dexterity you've built on the guitar will serve you well), but don't waste too much time trying to make the LinnStrument comply like a guitar. The bottom line is, it's not a guitar. Nor is it a piano, violin, saxophone, or otherwise. It is an instrument unto itself, in its own right, to be played accordingly.

Of course, the LinnStrument can play any sound that can be triggered via MIDI; some of which are remarkably realistic emulations of other acoustic instruments. Ironically, however, I've seen a lot of complaints and frustration crop up because of that. It's as though people expect the LinnStrument to play according to the sound they're hearing.

You gotta let that notion go, embrace the LinnStrument for what it does well, and not get hung up on what it doesn't do. To that end, every instrument has its limitations, and dictates its own technique.

Cheers!

John the Savage wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:16 pm Seriously, as a guitarist, the LinnStrument literally changed my life profoundly for the better.
I'm curious as to which tuning you are using with the Linnstrument, especially considering that you use the lights to mimic fretboard markings (I do the same). Do you use the guitar tuning that keeps the major 3rd between the 3rd and 2nd row? Or do you use 4ths tuning (+5 offset) with it?

I'm trying to decide on what offset to use on the Linnstrument right now and it's a tough choice. On one hand, I have 20+ years on the guitar so I know Most of the fretboard. Not well enough to be instinctive though, I've not devoted enough practice time focusing on that.

On the other hand, with 4ths tuning it is easier to remember where notes are due to grid symmetry. But if I used guitar tuning then I would only have to memorize one grid, and the grid knowledge that I develop on the Linnstrument will actually translate back to guitar.

My inclination is to stick with the 4ths tuning in order to maintain symmetry in interval/chord shapes and scales regardless of playing position on the Linnstrument. That's something that I that I strongly dislike about standard tuning on guitar, but I dislike the ergonomics of 4ths tuning on guitar compared standard tuning, so I put up with standard.
Last edited by Rune_7s on Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

As stated above, I personally use standard guitar tuning on the top 6 rows, with a redundant 2-string bass tuning on the bottom two rows: E, A, E, A, D, G, B, E

Beyond that, other than the reasons I already gave, I don't really know what else I could add. Except to say, if you don't know the fretboard that well, then you really are free to choose whatever tuning scheme speaks to you, be it standard guitar tuning or otherwise.

To that end, you're free to pick any tuning scheme regardless, for any number of reasons. The LinnStrument even allows you to switch between them effortlessly, if you don't want to stick with just one.

I do think it bears repeating though, that every tuning scheme presents advantages and disadvantages. But really, on a playing surface as forgiving as the LinnStrument, those pros and cons are minor at best, and pretty much balance out. So, I wouldn't agonize over it for too long. Just pick one that makes sense to you, and play. Stick with it. Learn it inside out. Therein lies the path to proficiency. Of course, if that's not what you're after, then it truly doesn't matter.

That said, what works for me, doesn't have to work for you.

Have fun.

The LinnStrument is a pleasure to play, no matter what tuning you choose.

Cheers!

Return to “Roger Linn Design”