sorry, another question about unit behaving "odd", x-adjacent pads played quickly detected as bend not distinct press

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
Sorry, it seems I mainly only contribute here when I have an odd issue with Linnstrument responding. I did check the FAQ problems but didn't recognize this behaviour as listed. I've mostly been playing the 128, and left the older 200 for a while, now picked the 200 back up to practice some hanon ish mirrored things and have more affordances for where I can put my fingers, and found an odd response I don't get currently on the 128:

Playing a semitone away on the x axis often (but not always) doesn't trigger the midi correctly, one in a few times it detects as a bend. I'm playing in a swung (bebop) feel but just slow tempo, and it's the downbeat note IE when two notes are played fairly quickly/close in time, the second is detected as a bend, maybe 1 in 4 times.

I have updated firmware and done recalibration, still behaves as such.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Hi 5KWIRE,

Copied from the LinnStrument Support page:

“If you have an operation question or you think your LinnStrument may have a problem, please first visit some of the links on this page, especially the Getting Started, FAQs, Panel Settings, Hooking It Up, and Recommended Sounds pages. If you don't find your answer there, I personally answer all emails to support@rogerlinndesign.com and calls to +1 (510) 666-6930, California time. Note that this phone number does not accept voice messages.

Note: I always reply to emails promptly. If you didn't get a reply, check your junk email folder.

Also, the LinnStrument Forum is a good resource for operation questions and exchanging ideas with other LinnStrument owners.

When you email me for support, please include the following:

1) Your name and the LinnStrument's serial number. This will tell me the age of the unit and any support history.

2) What country you're located in. This is helpful in the event that I may need to send you a repair part.

3) A clearly-written question or description of the problem. A short video demonstrating the problem is very helpful because it shows many things that you may not have considered to be relevant in your text description.

If there is a hardware problem in your LinnStrument, there is never a need to send it away for repair. LinnStrument is designed so that all problems can be fixed by sending you a replacement part that you can install yourself--with only a screwdriver-- by following a video. However, the vast majority of problems require only a setting change.”

Well, I see two approaches to this "odd" behavior:
  1. Disable Pitch using Per-Split Settings, or alternatively assigning Pitch to a foot pedal and/or switch button using the hidden extra switch assignments, then using that instead.
  2. See the phenomenon as a "happy accident".
One last idea is to factory reset through Global Settings and see if the issue persists.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”