Plugin sandboxing in PatchWork?

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just curious... Is this feature on the roadmap for PatchWork? Is it technically feasible? I guess PatchWork, for its advanced hosting capabilities, would be a perfect candidate to have it as an extra layer of protection between the plugins and the DAW.

What do you exactly mean by "sandboxing"? Running the plug-ins in a separate process to acvoid crashing the DAW? That's definitely not optimal for DSP. If a plug-in is buggy, I'd rather not use it anyway, be it in a sandbox or not!

Yes, basically a way to avoid that a particular plugin inside of PatchWork could crash the DAW. I understand it would be at the expense of performance but, as an option, I thought it could be useful, as PatchWork has to wear so many different hats in completely unrelated DAWS and platforms.

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:13 am What do you exactly mean by "sandboxing"? Running the plug-ins in a separate process to acvoid crashing the DAW? That's definitely not optimal for DSP. If a plug-in is buggy, I'd rather not use it anyway, be it in a sandbox or not!
Well, this is something Bitwig offers, and it doesn't seem to hit performance THAT hard... there are certain plugins, like Kontakt, that while *generally* stable can sometimes act up, and as someone who uses multiple DAWs, I always do feel "safer" in Bitwig due to its sandboxing. I have to imagine that would be a difficult feature to emulate in PatchWork, but it WOULD be pretty awesome in bringing that particular selling point of Bitwig to other DAWs...

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”