How to make a single coil pick up replacing a humbucker look good on a 7 string guitar?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a question of esthetics only. I have a guitar which I want to replace the neck humbucker with a single coil. It has no pick guard. I guess I could just cut the original humbucker in half and somehow mount the new single coil on to it, I'm open to other suggestions though
Last edited by YnJ on Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

my other modular synth is a bugbrand

You could leave a humbucker in there and wire it to only use one coil.

Or use a humbucker-sized P90, there are a few available.

Sorry, I should have specified that it is a 7 string guitar

There are very few options for 7 strings when it comes to single coils, and I've never seen a 7 string P90, not that I'm interested in one on this guitar. I've seen conversion frames for six strings, not for 7 strings. I've seen humbucker covers for 7 strings, I'm not sure how to fit them with a single coil though

Do you have a particular single-coil that you are looking to use? Otherwise the coil-tap still seems the most elegant option.

I'll probably go for a Seymour Duncan SSL, haven't decided exactly which yet. Not that there are many to choose from. I need to figure out how to get it working first. I'll rather just split a humbucker than coil tap it though

Why not have a switch (push the volume or tone pot) between single coil & humbucker?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Sustainiac uses a cool dummy coil converting humbucker space to single coil.

That would work, thanks! I'll send them an e-mail and ask if it fits my guitar and if I can get one of those without the Sustainiac

Return to “Guitars”