Crackling noise from pick ups?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've changed a few poor quality pick ups over the years, usually they have static noise and in some cases excessive feedback which goes away when replaced. I got myself a guitar with the intention of changing the pick ups anyway, these pick ups have a crackling sound which is new to me though, and I suspect it might have something to do with the wiring and just replacing the pick ups wont fix it. It sort of comes and goes, I can make the sound on purpose by touching the string and the pole on the pick up at the same time with my finger though

Check all your grounding, each pot should have one, also check the ground from under your bridge. Check all your solder joints too.
Good luck.

Dirk Diggler wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:04 pm Check all your grounding, each pot should have one, also check the ground from under your bridge. Check all your solder joints too.
Good luck.
Thanks! I'll see if I can find some schematics on the internet, I'm going to need them anyway when replacing the pick ups as I want to wire them differently

Pickups are not capable of producing "crackling noises". They either produce the sound they were designed for or....none at all. Your culprit is one of three things:

1) Poor grounding, in addition to the above advice, you might want to properly shield your control cavity with either sheilding tape or paint

2) Bad wiring....nothing a soldering iron cant' fix.

3) A dirty pot which can be fixed with a shoty of contact cleaner. Probably not a pot tho, as
a dirty pot only produces crackling when rotated.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

Pick ups are certainly capable of amplifying crakling noises though. Strangely it seems to have disappeared now, which makes me think it might have been the jack input

Return to “Guitars”