Preset/Template memories

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know if there is a way to recall the preset/template memories of the Linnstrument via program change from an external midi device?

To be more detailed, I use the Linnstrument to control several synthesizers in my live-set. One of these synths is the Haken Continuumini which is a mpe synth and needs diverse midi channels per preset, for that reason I need several Linnstrument's presets with specific midi configurations (midi channels, pitch bend, Y parameters and so on...). I would like to change the presets of the Linnstrument in the same way I do to change the presets of my synths: via Ableton Live, which sends the program change messages to them.
Reading the manual I'm learning that maybe it is probably not possible since the Linnstrument seems to be only able to send program change messages but not to receive them.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanx in advance

Hi lokust,

The midi.txt page in the source describes a MIDI NRPN message 243 "Global Settings Preset Load", which should allow you to remotely set the current "All Settings" memory.

However, people generally find that they switch between 2 types of MIDI setups:

1) MPE, which is always the same set of MIDI messages. And you can instantly set all of LinnStrument's MIDI settings to MPE by holding ChPerNote in Per-Split Settings > MIDI Mode column.

2) Common settings for use with synths and synth presets that are intended for piano keyboard synths:
* MIDI Mode = One Channel
* Main Channel = 1
* Bend Range = +/- 2
* Timbre/Y = CC74
* Loudness/Z = Channel Pressure

You may find you need only to switch between these 2 groups of settings, and that either doing that manually or selecting one of 2 "All Presets" memories manually is easy enough to do.

Mr Linn, thanks a lot for your reply.
Unluckily just the 2 types of midi setups (mpe and common piano-synth) are not enough in my case, that's why I need to store different preset configurations on Linnstrument. First of all, I have a Linnstrument 128 which has a more limited note range, and a smaller diapason than the 200-model, so depending on the track I play I need to set different octaves and sometimes transpose the lights-position to reach the range I need to perform comfortably a particular song. Then, as I mentioned, one of the synthesizers I play in my live-set is a Haken Continuumini which is mpe and needs different midi configurations (channels, pitch-bend range..etc) for each preset, and these midi configurations need to match precisely with the ones on Linnstrument to make the Continuumini respond properly. Of course, when it is possible and not affecting the sound or playability, I change some of the configurations into Continuumini’s presets to make them match with Linnstrument’s ones. But not always this is possible, or at least I am still not able to go deeper into the programming of Eaganmatrix engine and bend it to my needs. I own a Haken synth for months and it is a very beautiful and powerful machine but also really complex, it takes a while to learn how to program it properly.

(that's why I would really appreciate being able to store more than 6 presets, I hope this will be possible in the future with one of the next firmware updates)

Back to your answer.....
I went on the midi.txt page and found MIDI NRPN message 243 "Global Settings Preset Load”, I also found some other forum chats with a similar topic……but honestly I was unable to understand how to use this info to solve my problem. I am sorry but I am not well up in this midi programming field. As I understand, the point is to send a MIDI NRPN message 243, from Ableton Live to the Linnstrument, which carries all the info to change the program. On Ableton Live there are several ways to send midi cc or directly program changes messages to external devices but nothing sends messages with a bigger value than 127. So on another forum chat, I learned that maybe the MIDI NRPN message 243 might be translated in a sequence of midi CC messages with a smaller value number. I tried some sequences suggested in that forum but it didn’t work. Honestly, I am a bit lost. ;)

I would appreciate any tip on this midi thing.

Anyway changing manually the presets is not a tragedy, but since I have several gears and also an analogue vintage synth in my live-set, I already need to re-configure manually many parameters on the fly between one song and another. It would be just more comfortable not to do it on the Linnstrument too.

Thanx in advance
Luca

Hi lokust-
Interesting question, and yes, it's possible to send NRPNs from Ableton Live to the LinnStrument. So, I made a Max for Live device that does exactly that for the six preset slots. it requires either Ableton Live Suite edition, or a Live Standard with the optional Max for Live purchase. Here's a link to it https://github.com/bfuhrman/LinnStrument_NRPN_Preset

Hopefully that does what you want it to do.

Hi lokust,

I'm very sorry to say that I won't be adding more "All Settings" memories than the 6 that are already there. The issue is that LinnStrument is designed to be a musical instrument and not a programmable workstation. If you'd like to read my guiding principal for adding features, you can find it on the LinnStrument FAQ page, "General" tab, FAQ "Can you add this feature______?".

I'm afraid your use case is unique and there are hundreds of such special case features, and adding them all would make LinnStrument too complex to use, plus I don't have the resources to add them all. However, you can use standard NRPN messages to remotely select All Settings memories. And I suspect you'll find that once you are more familiar with LinnStrument's settings, you will prefer to simply make the few changes that are necessary instead of changing 100% of the settings in LinnStrument every time you want to change the sound in your external synth.

bfuhrman wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:10 pm Hi lokust-
Interesting question, and yes, it's possible to send NRPNs from Ableton Live to the LinnStrument. So, I made a Max for Live device that does exactly that for the six preset slots. it requires either Ableton Live Suite edition, or a Live Standard with the optional Max for Live purchase. Here's a link to it https://github.com/bfuhrman/LinnStrument_NRPN_Preset

Hopefully that does what you want it to do.
Hi bfuhrman,
You are an angel! I’ve downloaded and tried your m4l patch and it works perfectly!

And yes I've got Ableton Live 11 Suite and Max too, which I also use to program the Haken Eaganmatrix editor (which is btw a max patch).
Thanks a lot for sharing your patch with me, you’re very kind!
Cheers

Luca

Roger_Linn wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:55 pm Hi lokust,

I'm very sorry to say that I won't be adding more "All Settings" memories than the 6 that are already there. The issue is that LinnStrument is designed to be a musical instrument and not a programmable workstation. If you'd like to read my guiding principal for adding features, you can find it on the LinnStrument FAQ page, "General" tab, FAQ "Can you add this feature______?".

I'm afraid your use case is unique and there are hundreds of such special case features, and adding them all would make LinnStrument too complex to use, plus I don't have the resources to add them all. However, you can use standard NRPN messages to remotely select All Settings memories. And I suspect you'll find that once you are more familiar with LinnStrument's settings, you will prefer to simply make the few changes that are necessary instead of changing 100% of the settings in LinnStrument every time you want to change the sound in your external synth.
Dear Mr Linn,
Your creation is a real instrument, a marvellous one, and not a programmable workstation. I mean, it can also be, doing that work very well too. But primarily it’s a real instrument. I’m a musician/sound designer and music is my job, not only my passion. I play more than one instrument but the guitar is my main one. Since I’ve always loved synthesisers and sound research, for years I have tried several ways to play synths and electronics (using the acknowledgement and technique of guitar) with several controllers and the result was always disappointing. Then, just one year ago, I met the Linnstrument which, I can say, has definitely changed my life as a musician. Finally, I can feel the synthesisers in the same way I feel my guitar. The way Linnstrument responds to the touch or more in general to every performative action gives me the same feeling as an acoustic instrument. The only difference with playing the guitar is that, at the end of the day, my fingertips do not smell of nickel. I will never stop to thank you for creating such an instrument.
Sorry if I sound too sugary, but you know…I’ve never had the possibility to thank the inventor of the guitar, so now that I can thank the inventor of another instrument I love, I take the occasion.

So now after all this sugar, let’s go back to the topic.

I hope in the near future to be able to program the Haken Continuumini thoroughly (which is the main reason why I need several presets on Linnstrument) so that I don't have to make too many changes to the Linnstrument configuration.
 In the meantime, I luckily found the solution thanks to the very kind bfuhrman who created a max for live patch that does exactly what I need, and it works great.
So, problem solved!

Thanks again for your reply
My respect
Luca

lokust wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:44 am Hi bfuhrman,
You are an angel! I’ve downloaded and tried your m4l patch and it works perfectly!

And yes I've got Ableton Live 11 Suite and Max too, which I also use to program the Haken Eaganmatrix editor (which is btw a max patch).
Thanks a lot for sharing your patch with me, you’re very kind!
Cheers

Luca
No problem - glad it worked for you.

Hi Luca,

Thank you very much for your kind words. The best part of what I do is learning that a tool I've made can add a little musical joy to someone's life.

Roger_Linn wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:22 pm Hi Luca,

Thank you very much for your kind words. The best part of what I do is learning that a tool I've made can add a little musical joy to someone's life.
My pleasure.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”