What order should Deverberate, Compression, and EQ Be Applied?

Official support for: acondigital.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello All:

In what order should Deverberate, Compression and EQ be applied?

Don

It's an incorrect question. The Deverberate is an offline process and applies to particular regions of audio at different strength.
You don't want to use it real time as other broad band noise reduction tools as they are unpredictable and act differently each pass (except for Cedar DNS one... but you won't use it anyways).
EQ is inserted on track and is the most used plugin with user real time automated behavior.
Compression - I don't use it at all, others do it for catching spikes in the audio, in music it's a whole different zoo.

Hi M,

I don't understand your response. I have searched the internet and found numerous thread about EQ and compression and the order which they should be applied and what happens when the sequence is changed. I also found quite a few thread on EQ, Reverb and the order.

There were also threads on this forum about order for Denoise, Defilter and Deverb. But nothing for Deverberate, Compression and EQ. This is why I was asking the question.

Don

Don,
as often is the case, that depends on the use case. Most of the times I need to use Deverberate (I only use it on vocals), it is usually my first plugin of the chain, as my intent is to move the vocals closer to what they would sound if they were recorded in a studio instead of a live room.
But that does not mean that in some other situations moving the chain plugin around could give different and to you more satisfying results.

Hi Spaitz:

Thank you for writing. Like yourself I am only applying Deverberate on vocals. Typically, I have been using the order of Denoising, Deverberate, EQ, and finally Compression. In another thread, stian wrote that the correct order was Defilter, Deverberate, Denoise. There was no mention of EQ and Compression

What I am seeking is best practice as a starting point and then modifying to suit my situation and then modifying from there.

Don

I very rarely need to heavily use both a denoiser and a dereverber. In those particular cases, I always start by trying them in both positions and see what works best, once I reached a good starting point I'll then apply dynamics and eq if needed. If I recall correctly, but my memory is not that great, I believe the denoise before dereverb gives maybe slighlty more linear results.

Hi Don!
dgbarar wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:51 pm In what order should Deverberate, Compression and EQ be applied?
Compression is likely to confuse the DeVerberate algorithm, so I would strongly recommend to apply compression after de-reverberation. When it comes to EQ, I assume that it is dependent on the specific case.

Best,
Stian

Thank you all for your help.

Don

Return to “Acon Digital”