Studio One not recognizing Linnstrument

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just got a Linnstrument, and I'm trying to get Studio One 6 to recognize it as a controller. Surge recognizes it just fine, but when I launch Studio One, it doesn't show up in the list of external devices. All I see is my Komplete keyboard in the list (even though the Linnstrument is plugged in, and shows up as a controller in Surge).
What am I doing wrong?
I also have the PreSonus Audiobox 1818VSL, running on a Windows 11 setup.
Help!

No luck. It's still not controlling anything. It shows up in the Options window as an external device, but not in the mixer.

You could try the suggestions on the LinnStrument FAQ page, Problems tab, first FAQ:

https://www.rogerlinndesign.com/support ... ument-faqs

Just ran through the suggestions on the problems tab. Linnstrument shows up in device manager, midi messages detected from MIDI-OX, some software programs recognize and are properly controlled by the Linnstrument. It's just software from PreSonus -- Studio One 6, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6 -- that exhibit the symptoms.
I've seen youtube videos that show it just appearing as a device, but that's not what's happening for me. Even when I manually configure the device, it's still not working.
I'm guessing it's a PreSonus software glitch, but I thought I'd check with y'all in case you've seen this before and have a solution.

That's why I don't use Windows. :) If Windows sees LinnStrument but PreSonus doesn't, that suggests a PreSonus problem. Perhaps their support can help?

Maybe try the following. Go to Device Manager, Sound, video and game controllers. At the top of Device Manager: Select View, then select Show hidden Devices. Should see LinnStrument MIDI, if it's there maybe uninstall device, reboot and see if that works.

Presonus support is pretty good they will sort it out.

I know it may sound strange but there is a midi monitor built in to studio one: "View->Midi Monitor", if you start than and mess about with the Linnstrument do you see anything listed in the midi monitor?
Bitwig, against the constitution.

:) Yes, PreSonus support got me sorted out.
I went into the Documents/Studio One folder, backed it up, and deleted everything but user.license. Then I restarted Studio One, and it was able to recognize the linnstrument (I still had to manually configure it). There was another small glitch where Studio One reset to the wrong sampling rate, but a quick reboot fixed it.
Just thought I'd let you know. It's a simple enough procedure for troubleshooting. :)

So, I've made some progress. I can now get the Linnstrument recognized when using Surge XT and Vital, with all the MPE stuff working perfectly.
But, when I choose Kontakt 7 (or earlier versions of Kontakt), and I enable MPE for the virtual instrument, I lose not only the Linnstrument, but also my Komplete Kontrol keyboard! Turn mpe off again, both controllers are recognized (albeit without any mpe expressiveness).
Super weird!
Has anyone been able to get a Linnstrument working in MPE mode within Kontakt 7, within Studio One? (I've run Kontakt 7 as a standalone, and there doesn't appear to be any support for working with mpe.)

Kontakt isn't really MPE, is it? I know some folks got it to work, but you'll need multiple instances to pull it off.
Good luck.

For me, it's not just that it's "not mpe." When I enable mpe, it *kills* both my linnstrument and my normal midi keyboard (komplete kontrol). I disable mpe, they both come back. It's driving me crazy.

You’re omitting details, but I think you’re saying that when you enable MPE on an unnamed software instrument, running in Kontakt (which is not MPE compatible) it “kills” your LinnStrument and your Komplete Kontrol keyboard, though “kills” could mean many things.

I suggest that you read a page on my site called “What is MPE?” It explains what MPE is and how it uses MIDI channels. I suspect that nothing is being killed but rather you don’t yet understand how MPE works.

Or if you prefer immediate gratification, I suggest not using MPE but rather using traditional one-channel mode for everything. If you don’t need polyphonic pitch bends, you probably won’t miss MPE.

Kontakt and Studio One are a bit of a pain with MPE but it does work.

For Kontakt you need to set a multi up on multiple channels, each Instrument in Kontakt is also different in what it offers so setting up each instrument will be a bit different.

I have included an image showing this, the multi starts at channel 2 then has the same instrument on channels 3, 4 and 5. To use this the Linnstrument should have PerNote or PerRow cans set to 2,3,4,5.

I used the "Upright Bass" from the "Factory Library", this only supports pitchbend of 12 so I set it to that. Each Instrument also has different modulation settings, this is beyond this post you would need to read up how to map CCs to modulate parameters.

Now we hit an issue in Studio One, as far as I know you cannot have different pitchbend settings per plugin so you need to go to Preferences->external devices, double click on the Linnstrument and set the pitch range to 12, MPE should also be turned on. You would then need to change this back when using other pitchbend values.

Then when you enable MPE for Kontakt it should all work.

My recommendation is just not to use MPE with Kontakt as Kontakt does not support MPE without a lot of messing around.

I have included a Kontakt file with this setup.
Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 07.20.08.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”