Your favourite books on counterpoint

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Piston's Counterpoint is nice for its examples, not so good for its pedagogy (my opinion, of course). Humphrey Searle's book on 20th century counterpoint suffers in similar manner. Both are good books, I just wouldn't recommend them as beginners texts.

Anyone here ever work with Cherubini's book ? Roger Sessions learned from it, that's at least a decent recommendation.

I know I read through Schoenberg's Preliminary Exercises but it was probably beyond me at that time.

Reading some of these comments makes me realize how lucky I was to have a really excellent teacher (Michael Jon Fink, a professor at CalArts). It's a bit dismaying at times to consider how many teachers have "taught" this stuff without ever realizing its true nature and worth. Better to have no instruction at all than to be taught badly. Mike took me through Fux but turned me loose on Kennan. He'd check my tonal work for errors, but he felt that since I knew Fux I'd be able to get through Kennan without much assistance. (Though I believe that going through Piston's Harmony was essential background for working through Kennan). As another comment here wrote:
Wouldn’t have skipped any class or any exercise for the world.
I worked with Mike in private lessons once a week for almost two years. Incidentally, Chaz Smith introduced us. Anyone here know Chaz's work ?

Anyway, to the OP: Good luck in your studies, they'll take some time to get through but you'll be a far better-equipped composer for the experience.

dp

As to Pedagogy, I doubt anything beats Gradus. It is written like a dialogue between the fictive teacher Aloysius, who really refers to Palestrina, and his fictive student, Joseph. It is all about Joseph messing up in the story, and Aloysius correcting him with great sympathy and thorough explanations. However, it is also an underlying story about how they get completely entangled in the project, and how spiritual and God given a gift music is to them. I was completely sold already in the beginning when Aloysius tests his student´s ambitions:
Aloys. - Perhaps the hope of future riches and possessions induces you to choose this life? If this is the case, believe me you must change your mind; Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus. Whoever wants riches must take another path.
No shit :hihi: Joseph assures that love for music is his only motive. When that is settled, the travel can begin. Three types of movement, four rules of movements that can really be reduced to two, five species where the last is but a combi of the four + a set of period specific voice leading recommendations (that are actually relative to style, period, and whether you write for choir or instruments). Viola, and here come the students Mozart, Bach and Haydn among others. :o

FWIW, Fux breaks a rule too at least twice underway for the lack of better solutions. He wasn´t that rigid.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

Farnaby wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:48 pm
StudioDave wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:14 am
Counterpoint doesn't necessarily teach a period style, nor is it at all about how to compose in the manner of Palestrina or Bach.

It teaches you how to think in simultaneous independent and highly correlative lines of musical thought. More than anything, it's a form of musical/mental calisthenics, very useful regardless of your style.

Best regards,

dp
This is why I like the Piston book on Counterpoint - he takes a wider view, and quotes examples from the Baroque, Classical and Romantic periods.
It's an impressive piece of scholarly work.

For instrumental counterpoint you only need to learn some voice-leading, a couple of simple rules and a lot of harmony. That's it.
I like to build music theory tools: https://www.music-chords.com/

Vurniks wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:55 pm For instrumental counterpoint you only need to learn some voice-leading, a couple of simple rules and a lot of harmony. That's it.
And to think of all the fuss people make of Bach!

I like, and have bought, this book.

It's clear, helpful, cheap, well-regarded and a pretty short read:

I really like Diether de la Motte's books on harmony and counterpoint, apart from that I really enjoyed reading "The Style of Palestrina and the Dissonance" from Knud Jeppesen!

regularnormaldude wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:48 pm I really like Diether de la Motte's books on harmony and counterpoint…
I totally agree!

lenni_hh wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:51 pm
regularnormaldude wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:48 pm I really like Diether de la Motte's books on harmony and counterpoint…
I totally agree!
+1 :)
His two books Harmony and Counterpoint are amazing, and in the 80's, there was nothing similar published in Europe (as far as I know...)
Is he well known outside of Germany?

Kennan's book + (must have) workbook
Schoenberg's "Fundamentals of Music Composition"

Just reading the text didn't bring much value to me at all, until I started using the workbook, and it changed everything by orders of magnitude (really).

YMMV

For the discussion about the "counterpoint" I recommend the
standard work

"Contrary Counter-Objects in the Counter-Society"

Here, in Hegelian dialectics, the opposites are juxtaposed
using the example of a counter-society. It's about all you
can count.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Peter Schubert’s book on Renaissance counterpoint is amazing for actually trying to learn. I would start with that book and then read Fux, Jeppesen, or any others that you’re interested in after having worked through the Schubert book. It has such clear explanations, focus on a single topic, and nice progression. The concept of hard and soft rules that he uses is also great for learning. Lots of exercises in the book, and the most underrated feature of it is…..it’s spiral bound so you can actually work in it easily. He thought of everything.

Return to “Music Theory”