Simplifying Music?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Among the simplest things you can write is a melody, although writing a good one is difficult. Adding a second part (bass line?) could render a fairly complete sounding effect. Bach's two-part inventions demonstrates this perfectly.

I find keeping it simple is much harder than just making a ton of parts. Seems to me that songs that are simpler are usually better too.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Einstein used to say: "make it as simple as possible, but not simpler." Not sure though, if that concept is applying to music.
artie fichelle sounds natural

Artie Fichelle wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:15 pm Einstein used to say: "make it as simple as possible, but not simpler." Not sure though, if that concept is applying to music.
Haja, with Einstein the emphasis was on "not simpler". Because he worked for years on the mathematical formulation of the general theory of relativity - until he finally - with the help of the mathematicians Riemann and Hilbert - found the right formulation. This "not simpler" turned out to be very, very problematic and tedious. 8)

But that doesn't apply to music. Because there are musicians who compose great songs from the gut - without any knowledge of music theory. And there are musicians who compose songs based on music-theoretical considerations. :)

So music theory doesn't play the same role as general relativity. In fact, you don't need music theory at all. But it can also be very helpful. :neutral:

But what remains is: Good songs are generally simple and yet brilliant.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Making thing simple comes with great experience and even greater understanding on what has been done so far, why, how and what are the problems still waiting to be solved or have not been solved in the best possible way in resonance with the current state of the art\science.

Hm? Simple music + complex sounds = holy grail ;)

'Go to the bridge'. - James Brown

Ok here's why i had an urge to quote that lyric. So the bridge is supposed to drive the motif home and give it more meaning, right?
So any modulation possibilities to other scales is important up front, to me anyways
It dictates what comes before it to an extent, and so on.

Simple but not too simple, to paraphrase Einstien.
I always try to include a chorus too with the verse.
Last edited by trewq on Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Any tips for writing or arranging more simply without compromising the work? Thanks.
If you only focus on how sounds and music make you feel you will make different choices

mykla wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:33 am
Any tips for writing or arranging more simply without compromising the work? Thanks.
If you only focus on how sounds and music make you feel you will make different choices
Well, it's all about whether the music you compose and produce leaves a lasting
emotional impression. Or whether it gets lost in the diversity of what is always
the same.

If you ask yourself which songs stick in your memory, which ones you still
remember, then these are often striking but simple songs. And that's what this
is about. :tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Melody centred music can be thought of as simple.
Mostly medieval folk music or such.

Dimetail is banned from kvr for that post. I'll bet it contains secret readings that only a robot can read.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Return to “Music Theory”