ds404 and loop points

Official support for: muon-software.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I was just trying out a program that seems to work nice for finding loop points in samples (for my monitor, the ds404 gui is a bit small for tweaking samples). It is a small free program found here: http://demiurge.webpark.pl/NiceLoop/

However, the output .wav file this program produces cannot be loaded in ds404. Out of interest, these wav files can be loaded inside Ableton's sampler "simpler", but simpler does not recognize the loop points. rgcaudio's sfz reads the .wav and recognizes the loop points as does Project5's DS864.

I'm not sure if Niceloop produces wacky .wav files, but I'd thought I'd mention it in case you're interested in looking into it.

cheers
sluggo

<rant>
Sadly, not all WAV files are created equal. The spec is pretty clear on a few things, such as the size of certain chunks and the nature of particular values within the chunks etc., but some software authors simply ignore these details.

When faced with a WAV file that does not conform to the standard exactly, a developer is faced with a difficult choice. You can either sit and try and write code that tiptoes around other people's bugs and make it work with everything as best you can or you can make sure the app sticks to the documented standard 100%

At first, option 1 might sound attractive - after all, your app will work with a wider range of files from the "grey area". However, you'll never know if a file you are loading isn't corrupted and you won't be consistent - another app could come out next week that finds some new and interesting ways to f**k up the file format. Option 2 is far better from an engineering standpoint - if a WAV is f**ked, it won't load. If some developer comes up with a new app that f**ks WAVS in some new and interesting way, our app still behaves totally consistently and won't load it.
</rant>

If the WAV doesn't load, open it in a good quality wav editing program that has implemented the WAV standard correctly and save it again. Cool Edit (now Audition) or Wavelab or any of the biggies will work just fine.

Regards
Dave

I hear ya Dave.

cheers

edit: I just learned how to create loop points in Samplitude - I was told 2 years ago it didn't do that! now I don't have to use non-compliant wav editing programs

Return to “Muon Software”