New Vangelis studio album - Rosetta

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Inspired by the ESA space vehicle Rosetta. Release Date: 23-Sep-2016.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/ ... k-preview/

Style is downtempo symphonic. :phones:

Chris-S wrote:Style is downtempo symphonic. :phones:
Kind of goes without saying :D

But I am happy he continues putting out work. I would have to call myself a rather big fan, so looking forward to this :)

I think he remains faithful to his own style and personality. I liked it very much :-)
Fernando (FMR)

Have been a fan for many years... really like El Greco.
A well-behaved signature.

JerGoertz wrote:Have been a fan for many years... really like El Greco.
Incredible as it may sound... El Greco is a relatively recent work from Vangelis :hihi:

For me, it's the "Nemo Studio Trilogy": Heaven & Hell, Albedo 0.39 and Spiral. Then, come the soundtracks, starting with Chariots of Fire, obviously...
Fernando (FMR)

FWIW he was doing soundtracks even before Chariots.

Rosetta seems to fit in the same "box" as the Nemo Studio Trilogy you mentioned. Even better, imo. I really like it.
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Also fwiw... I love both El Greco's as well. The original album as well as the soundtrack version. Really, they're all good and all inspirational. The only ones that I really didn't like are Hypothesis and Dragon.

Sequent wrote:FWIW he was doing soundtracks even before Chariots.
Way before it, I know. If I'm not mistaken, the first soundtrack was for a film called "5000 Lies", in the distant year of 1967 (reportedly, a bad soundtrack)...

But the first soundtrack ever released on disk (again, according to what I read) was Sex Power, in 1970.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
Way before it, I know. If I'm not mistaken, the first soundtrack was for a film called "5000 Lies", in the distant year of 1967 (reportedly, a bad soundtrack)...

But the first soundtrack ever released on disk (again, according to what I read) was Sex Power, in 1970.
I've heard about Sex Power but never heard it. Never heard of 5000 Lies. It would be interesting to hear them just for the sake of curiosity. But probably not really.

One that I also remember listening to a lot when I was younger is Opera Sauvage. Was that one also done at Nemo Studios?

Sequent wrote:
fmr wrote:

I've heard about Sex Power but never heard it. Never heard of 5000 Lies. It would be interesting to hear them just for the sake of curiosity. But probably not really.

One that I also remember listening to a lot when I was younger is Opera Sauvage. Was that one also done at Nemo Studios?
Yes, it was recorded during 1978 and 1979, and engineered by Keith Spencer-Allen, the same engineer that worked with Vangelis on Albedo 0.39 (and whose voice we can hear reciting the data from the Earth in the last track), Spiral, Beaubourg and China. The data about Opéra Sauvage was written accordingly with the CD sleeve. It was a soundtrack for a series of documentaries from Frédéric Rossif, as was "L'Apocalypse des Animaux" and "La Fête Sauvage" - but these ones were earlier.

Vangelis worked in Nemo Studio until at least 1984 (Mask). It was perhaps his best creative period ever.

Opéra Sauvage is excelent, one of the finest Vangelis albums.
Last edited by fmr on Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

I'm listening to Opera Sauvage right now. Went looking through my old cd's and realized that I actually do have it.

I agree with you. Definitely a very fine album and also one that I would heartily recommend to anyone who is new to Vangelis' music.

This is a cd that I got a while ago and it sounds excellent on my studio system. Truly a testament not only to the music but to the production and recording as well. :)

Anyone knows what the hieroglyphics on his production modules are meaning?
:D
cockpit.jpg
Trailer vid: https://youtu.be/a7eLhIb-_HM
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chris-S wrote:Anyone knows what the hieroglyphics on his production modules are meaning?
:D
cockpit.jpg
Trailer vid: https://youtu.be/a7eLhIb-_HM
I have no idea, but I would risk saying that the Vs stand for violins (or strings), and that the - over the V would mean sustained, perhpas, or some kind of special articulation. The Us would mean Tiimpani or some kind of percussion, while that thing that reminds an H would mean Bells. This is just me guessing, of course. Bear in mind that you are just watching two of the many interfaces (seems like kind of MIDi controller interfaces) which are connected to the keyboards. I have no idea what his system is about nowadays, but he has an amazing collection of pedals attached, and these "controllers seem to allow him to quickly perform program changes and activate instruments/channels.
Fernando (FMR)

The only instrument on the album I can also play : :D
vangelbird_cr.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”