VST3 Envelope filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Last year, I finally upgraded to a Win64 system, but I miss using the 32-bit plugin “Classic Auto-Filter” by Kjaerhus Audio (https://archive.org/details/classic-auto-filter).

Is there a VST3 equivalent that you could recommend? To be clear, it’s the envelope follower and LFO that is key. I have a few VST3 auto filter plugins that are excellent, but I miss those particular features in the Kjaerhus Audio plugin.

From what I’ve read, bridging 32-bit VST plugins is going to cause performance issue, but please let me know if this is inaccurate.

Wouldn't touch anything by that company with a barge pole...

I’m sure it no longer exists

You might explain what you are trying to do. It's a big ask for people to go and look up and learn about an obsolete plugin in order to be able to help you.

unfiltered audio BYOME/TRIAD has an envelope follower, LFO and various filters
should be able to do this

UVI shade too

any synthesizer that is also able to run as FX (korg mas20 comes to mind)

u-he filterscape

just to name a few...

Kjaerhus stuff worked the last time I needed it to. Probably 5-6 years ago. What's your host? I don't remember the exact feature set of the KH auto filter, but the 4 hosts I use regularly have any autowah/ envelope filter/ swept filter stuff covered.
Do you need it to be free? Being free was what the kjaerhus plugins were best at
Is vst 3 your priority? Do you need the envelope to be controlled by a side chain. Whatcha doing?
I'd use Melda MWobbler or The Drop if I was going for a good quality envelope filter with an LFO onboard. Most hosts will do it with no extra cost though.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I can't remember what the Kjaerhus sounded like but I did used to have it.

Fabfilter Volcano has gobs of modulation options and sounds great. This is probably the deepest of these options.

Sound Toys has two Filter Freak options. They only envelope follow OR LFO but not both at the same time

Arturia has four filter options (Filter M12, Filter MINI, Filter MS-20 and Filter SEM. The MINI and the MS-20 can both envelope follow and LFO at the same time.) Not sure about the other two.

For something FREE, the Melda free pack comes with MBandpass which has two independent high and low pass filters which can be modulated with both an envelope follower and an LFO and more. It's pretty deep and takes a little to figure out but it (and everything else in the free pack) is very capable.

IK MixBox CS (or maybe SE) comes with one or two envelope filters.
kiloHearts SnapHeap can easily do it with lots of customisation options.
If you can find an archive, the (free) Wampler Terraform plugin collection came with an envelope filter.
HY-Filter4 (incl. free version) will do it with little effort.
AudioDamage Filterstation (free) is also an option.
And many more!

Kjaerhus always worked and sounded fine, too bad not continued.

Melda’s will do fine.

The filters on IK Multimedia Mixbox are very well worth trying, worth the low asking price for those alone ! My best purchase of the year so far.

I also picked Hybrid Filter for free with a purchase from Plugin Boutique and it's worth checking out, can do wonders on hi hats, synths etc...

Another vote for FabFilter’s Volcano. Not much that you can’t do with that and it sounds great.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Zebrify (fx version included with Zebra 2) is really good for these types of duties. It has an envelope follower, lfos, and all the filters. Really there are tons of options. There may be fewer if you need something free or are looking for a very specific sound, but the kjaerhus effects didn't have much in the way of a recognizable "sound".

I like PSP StompFilter, filter morphs through LP-BP-HP, 12 or 24 db slope, 2 saturation points, stereo spread on the lfo is really nice. Definitely worth a try.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I included an archive.org link above to all of the Kjaerhus plugins. I’m using FL Studio, and there a number of go-to plugins that I had used in the past which are 32-bit VST only (no 64-bit dll or vst3 versions). Some others include ones from Tweakbench (https://www.tweakbench.com/vst-plugins). This site asks that you check if your DAW supports 32-bit bridging. As far as I know, FL Studio does. I wanted to see if anyone had experience with this or jbridge.

I used jbridge for years (during the transition from 32 bit to 64 bit daws) and still do, to make sure I have access to some very old projects. It's a great program, very fairly priced, and the developer is a great guy. I'm not sure if it's still an active product though.

In the majority of the cases it had no ill effects and a negligible cpu impact. I'd guess that it either works or doesn't with most software as nobody is supporting old 32 bit versions of anything anymore. It's always worth a try as is any bridging that your host may do natively. Bitwig has great 32-64 bit bridging if I want to use some ancient plugin or an old synth edit creation.

Return to “Effects”