Why are CC11 *and* CC7 both controlling Instrument Vol. fader?

Official support for: kirkhunterstudios.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In Diamond, some instruments, (haven't checked them all)
CC11 along with CC7 are both controlling the Volume fader on the Kontakt instrument, right on the front.
CC11 never does that with all other instrument libraries that I have.

So this disables the ability to use them both as intended. CC7 global, cc11 within the global.

It's always been my understanding that CC7 is more of a global volume control and CC11 is just as it is called,
"expression" for short term dynamics within a phrase.

So, is this an oversight, a mistake or by intention,
and if by intention can someone explain the reason or motivation?

And, is it scripted?
... because I'll need to change this if I want to use the instruments in question,
i.e. without giving up the extra control afforded by traditional use of CC7 and CC11 together.

*If* it is scripted then how can fix it?

Thank you!

My understanding of the traditional use of CC#7 and CC#11 is the same as yours. it doesn't look like Diamond follows that convention. It'll be part of the TVEC scripts (not user-modifiable)

I would just use CC#11 to control the instruments' volumes. Turn off "Accept Standard Controllers for Volume and Pan" on the Instrument Options / Controller tab.
Last edited by DarkStar on Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Thanks for the reply DarkStar,

Personally I'd rather do Expression with CC11 and then do global volume for the instrument with an envelope on the individual audio track for that instrument but it's an extra hassle that way.
Last edited by nousndthem on Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Update:

It seems to be any instrument that uses scripting, not just TVEC.

Kirk replied with an easy fix. It's not in the scripting as we suspected.
His reply:
"When you open the instrument, open Kontakt's automation pane. You'll see the CC11 is assigned to the instrument. Simply remove it."

So:
Then my next step is to add CC11 the normal way I've been doing for all
the other instruments in Diamond that don't have it.
Wrench > Group Editor > Make sure Edit All Groups is selected.
Wrench > Add Modulator (under the Amplifier section) > External Sources > Midi CC (adds a modulator CC1)
Change 1 to 11 then the second box change 1 to 127(default value when no CC is being detected for that value)
set the lag to 100. And CC11 now works within CC7!

Problem solved.
Thanks Kirk. You're the best!

Return to “Kirk Hunter Studios”