Keyswitch expressions

Official support for: kirkhunterstudios.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I find the ability to change the timbre, playing style and attack of samples extremely useful when putting together an arrangement but the process seems horribly slow in Logic - I have to continually look up the relevant pitch (and pizzicato for viola is a different note from Violin 1), I have to keep track of whether mutes are on or off (the note toggles it, not activates it), I have to keep playing the arrangement from the beginning to get the right articulation at any specific point when i am editing it (and risk it all resetting if it spills over to the next system) and if I play a new violin part on the cello track by mistake i risk triggering unwanted effects (especially Pattern On or short which are particularly annoying when not wanted!

Have any users of Logic found a sensible and consistent way of using the keyswitches which are clear and transparent when sequencing? Has anyone found a way to use the control panel in Logic to activate sample switching instead? I'd welcome any advice on this as the time saved for me will be significant.

Not just a logic issue. When I first began using Kirk's libs I had the same problem, so at the beginning of the tune I set a neutral articulation like molto legato, then at the start of each passage (clip), set the articulation(s); at the end of the passage, return to the neutral keyswitch, so it amounts to 1 extra keyswitch per clip.

When you think of it, it makes logical sense as when a player finishes playing, they go to a resting or netral position until they play again. Same thing goes for mutes: put them on at the beginning of the clip, take them off at the end.

As far as actual keyswitch assignment (not at my DAW now) you can assign the keyswitches of at least some libs (like CS3), then save the Kontakt instrument under another name. When you start assigning multiple automations this becomes even more advantageous.
Intel 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill RAM, 4 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Mixcraft 7 64 bit. Kontakt 5, MP, EWQL, KH, Omni. Soundcloud YouTube

Spot-On, chibear

Return to “Kirk Hunter Studios”