i've run out of inputs, i was thinking of adding a mixer? -edit, mgp32x chosen

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bungle wrote:And the need for being so aggressive ?
Yes their is a method if the hardware is MIDI, but i will just stay out of this now, no inclination at all to be helpful after that nonsense.

i think you misunderstood the way i wrote it, i give you my solemn word, i have been feeling nothing but excitement and happiness during this entire topic! And i have totally appreciated every answer! I am really sorry if it came across any differently. Hope we are cool :tu:

i know what you mean btw, to put volume changes a the start of the midi tracks in the daw.
I want fader control though, in the apollo i have input and fader control.. I'm having a perve at some digital mixers with fader recall.

I don't know why you took the word f**k so badly, i thought about it and said "no worries, kvr will censor it, whoever reads it will know i'm just having fun!"

edit: I just re read it three times, i thought it was obvious i was saying i would love help.. i have no idea why you thought i was being aggressive other than one instance of f**k. :shrug:

I think intent is everything. I meant zero aggressive intent whatsoever. Not even a tiny bit.

How about selling the Apollo and buy a MADI console like the Beh X32? Under the hood that's all Midas technology...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote:How about selling the Apollo and buy a MADI console like the Beh X32? Under the hood that's all Midas technology...
i checked it, but there's one huge thing about the apollo nothing else can offer me.. total recall with a single daw plugin.

In other words, i put ONE instance of a simple uad plugin into the daw, and everything is recalled in apollo. Plugins, volume levels, everything. How COOL Is that! No other interface, not even RME with total mix, can offer that. Even the interfaces half the price with double the inputs can't offer that. THIS, and the track to tape/compressor/unison pre amps is why i chose apollo :) Even though UAD support is THE worst in the world - ever.. (3 to 4 weeks per email reply these days, and a total back out of their word.. i would LOVE to tell you guys the story, jrr shop knows.. but as usual i just know kvr will hang me for it so i won't bother..

Oh,back to the apollo totall recall plugin..That means i only ever need the one daw project to recall everything!

I'm even planning on investing in midiquest pro when the 64 bit is out (they are working on it every day), which means i will have TOTAL total recall for all my old hardware synth patches too! (ie the ones that don't have plugin editors).. the whole setup will be literally plug and play.. i LOVE that.. the convenience of DAW recall with no cpu usage!
If anything, i'd add an X32 to my current setup! they are half the price of the apollo 16 here.
But i would never ditch the apollo backbone..

My dream is actually to have 5k and just add an apollo 16. And i'd be over the moon. perhaps i should wait after all, and just use a patch bay for now. Perhaps amused is right about that, and i should save for the thing i want most.

EDIT - spelling *only*.
Last edited by ObsoleteAcc99 on Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Thanks for seriously considering that option.
There is though another possibility: sell a synth or two. But I think that's out of the question.. Rather put them on a reserve bank through a patch bay or mixer.

BertKoor wrote:Thanks for seriously considering that option.
There is though another possibility: sell a synth or two. But I think that's out of the question.. Rather put them on a reserve bank through a patch bay or mixer.

i'm happy to sell almost every software synth i own.. does that count?

hmm....
http://www.bettermusic.com.au/ua-apollo ... essing-mac

they order a brand new one for me, in 2 years i pay them 300 bucks to own it for life.

hmm. i think 70 aud a week i can do.

TheoM wrote:hmm....

they order a brand new one for me, in 2 years i pay them 300 bucks to own it for life.

:shock:

Dude have your entered 70 x 104 into a calculator?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:
TheoM wrote:hmm....

:shock:

Dude have your entered 70 x 104 into a calculator?
huh?

72 a week for 24 months then a 300 payment.

oh yes i balanced it out monthly.. it's 7.5

well no one is going to rent without interest, it doesn't exist.

And i can still save 100 a week easily whilst paying 70, so by years end with xmas money i can get a montage.

woof!
but you are right, it's too much money.

I'll still take cheap mixer suggestions.. and the cheapest around with motorised faders and project recall. and of course still any clock advice :)

The interest rate on it is just extortionate.

And don't forget in two years time the Apollo 128 quad cam 24 valve twin turbo will be out rendering your $7.5k device nigh on worthless.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:The interest rate on it is just extortionate.

And don't forget in two years time the Apollo 128 quad cam 24 valve twin turbo will be out rendering your $7.5k device nigh on worthless.

ok you've put me off now.
more options considered. :)
Last edited by ObsoleteAcc99 on Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Right, your short term solution could be to get a second hand 01V. Patch the Presonus into its ADAT in, plug its ADAT out into your Apollo.
Then you have 16 channels in the Apollo for the must-haves and pick 8 out of another 24 on the 01V. Total recall then is a midi program change to it, but you need to store it once in a while (two button presses)

If money was not an issue, I would build a setup with the same philosophy described by TheoM.

I had to compromise, though, almost all my synths are connected in mono to my soundcard, some are left unconnected and I patch them only when I need them. Everything has its own dedicated midi ports, though. And I also work with a template with every midi track already set up an almost all the inputs ready for recording. I definitely understand the appeal of TheoM setup, even though I'm going more and more pc-less and analog these days.

TheoM described what I consider the best workflow possible with hardware devices. If it wasn't just so damn expensive!

I'll be gradually buying two Apollo 8p Quads for myself when funds permit. That is just one awesome recording solution, and I actually have a few people I want to collab with, so it will get proper use.
:borg:

I'm really rethinking this. I got my apollo and apollo duo so cheap, compared to aussie prices, and they are better than mint, that I think in OZ i can make money if i sell them.

Then i can get a motu 1248 thunderbolt, and hook up a 24ai to it via ethernet cable, and have 40 line ins just like that (as i can also attach my adat focusrite adc 8 pre into the adat of the 1248) - 8 ins on the 1248, another 8 on the adat interface i already own, going into the 1248, then 24 line ins using the motu 24ai. I have my 40 inputs, and 128 can be streamed via thunderbolt. DSP mixer, british EQ compression on each and every channel (up to 48 channels), and a reverb send. I lose UAD plugins on inputs, but i pay 3.5k (negotiated today in aud) for both interfaces, and will likely get 5.5k for apollo quad and twin duo.. so will actually have 2k in bank, and my 40 inputs, rather than the 24 ins i have now that are all full. Problem solved, and with motu, i can add another 24 ins for 1000 bucks at any time with a simple ethernet cable, to have 64. That easy.

I have really thought this through and it seems the logical way to go. I won't have to save, i can run ALL My synths live right now, and still use my octo and quad satellite uad's for using all my lush uad fx in mixing once i have recorded all the synths as audio (which i HAVE to do at some point anyway, to end up at a 2 track to master).

What do you guys think? Motu runs realtime ultra low latency through thunderbolt, through it's dsp mixer..

What i WILL lose that is irreplaceable, is the UAD guitar amps (softube marshall, brainworx) - my guitarist friend told me the latency is so low it's like usign a hardware amp. So that's the one big caveat. Motu's current pre's are just as good as apollo's, very transparent, but of course no unison saturation modelling.

Anyway it's an option, i did all the figures over and over again today.. it's either that or save for an apollo 16 and have no expandability beyond that point anyway, as apollos max can do 16 analog in. And I think you can only run 3 or 4 apollo's in the one thunderbolt chain.
So the very max is 40 or 56 realtime analog inputs using apollo. I just need to check if it's 3 or 4 units you can cascade. (sorry, it's 64 inputs with 4 apollo 8's or 16's, but i have a twin duo in this setup as it stands, the big monitor knob on the desktop is a godsend, but it counts for one apollo unit in the chain - so my options are 40 inputs with one more apollo 8 or 16, or 56 if i can add a fourth which i need to check.. but that would be 10 grand! LOL!)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”