Shimmer Presets

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

I just bought Room, UberMod and Shimmer (yup- all 3 over 4 days-once I started....)

They all 'sound' amazing, my only disappointment is that Shimmer has no pre-set system. There were no demos available when I bought (but after buying Room blind I was hooked...) but a video I watched on YouTube had a demo of Shimmer with a pre-set manager (first pre-set 'BlackHole'- The plug that got me searching for a new reverb ;-)) I assume this is a feature of the Host (Main stage?- I'm on a PC so never used it) rather than Shimmer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl1GCn2njJc

Any plans to ad a pre-set system to Shimmer?
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

ValhallaShimmer has a preset system, but it is a different one than the one used by the other plugins. Shimmer uses a preset system that is derived from VST example code, where some presets are "built into" the plugin. The other plugins use cross-platform preset code that was based on code from Randy Jones of Madrona Labs (we did a code swap).

Unfortunately, I don't think I can change the preset code in Shimmer without breaking a bunch of DAW projects for existing users. If people make use of the current preset code, changing this to something new could theoretically trash the settings in older projects, and that is something that plugin developers need to avoid.

What DAW are you using? The DAWs I used during the Shimmer development were able to view the Shimmer presets in the "host" preset system, but the plugin was released 4+ years ago, so things may have changed in your DAW.

Sean Costello

Hello Sean (also my name :-))

No worries- I see the 7-8 pre-sets in all my DAWS (Live, BitWig and Cubase) I just was expecting something like Room and Uber (as I bought those first, Shimmer last!). I hope Shimmer gets some update love, as I think its great (maybe automated morph a la blackhole?)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Hey Sean,

Not to beat a dead horse to death, but...

I to would like to see a better preset system in Shimmer.

Maybe it's time for Shimmer 2, then a new preset system could be added and the old Shimmer could go on living as is.
Should make everyone happy, I can't speak for everyone though, but I'd be willing to spend another $50 for this hypothetical Shimmer 2.

Just an idea,
Tim
Digital Studio: Studio One Pro 3, and too many plugins to list
Tools: '09 Epi' Dot Studio, '10 Epi' Les Paul Studio, '97 Fender Strat, 2015 PRS SE Standard 24, Martin OMC-18E.
Toys: Peavey Solo, Crate GFX30, VOX AD30VT, Digitech RP500, Line 6 HD500X

Hi Sean,

I've been on your website and reading the manual... so forgive me if I missed it or a FAQ on this. :ud:

Is it possible to:

a. Lock the mix preset like ubermod?
b. Double click or key modifier to reset values?
"Yeah Butch tell Paul McCartney what to do..." - Dave Grohl, Sound City

Since you didn't get an answer yet, I've just checked it for you, it's no on both your questions.
Because Shimmer is relatively simple in terms of controls, it doesn't really bother me though, which is the same reason I don't really mind the lack of a preset browser. Although it would be nice to have.

BDeep wrote:Since you didn't get an answer yet, I've just checked it for you, it's no on both your questions.
Because Shimmer is relatively simple in terms of controls, it doesn't really bother me though, which is the same reason I don't really mind the lack of a preset browser. Although it would be nice to have.
Cheers mate... appreciate you taking the time, wasn't sure if it was a bug in Logic. :tu:
"Yeah Butch tell Paul McCartney what to do..." - Dave Grohl, Sound City

Nope, expected behaviour :) I've used the VST in Live (OS X) so it's safe to assume it's the same across all versions/DAWs.

valhallasound wrote:changing this to something new could theoretically trash the settings in older projects, and that is something that plugin developers need to avoid.
Thanks - tell that to the Reveal sound devs ;)

Return to “Valhalla DSP”