What's the correlation: Psytrance & Metal

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

justin3am wrote: I think one of the common links between metal fans and psytrance fans is Industrial music. .
lol...thats exactly what i was saying...but yours was way more succinct. :tu:
ImageImageImage

I also was a metal fan for several years, and then suddenly switched to electronic music. Some more years of listening to "regular" trance like the stuff played by Van Buuren (mostly released between 2003 and 2009) and then I finally discovered some good psytrance and understood that this is my thing.

I see some correlations between psytrance and metal subgenres, like black metal/forest psytrance, death metal/darkpsy or psycore, power metal/full-on, symphonic metal/symphonic psytrance like early Infected Mushroom, Synsun or Terrafractyl. I find the overall mood of the music to be kinda similar in these pairs.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

I always thought trance was dance music for people that didn't really like dance music, like former metal heads.

That said, I'm a former metal head that likes most dance music except trance, so what do I know.

Been a metal head since 87' but carried a love of electronica all the way through the 90's and 00's till now. I tried explaining to a female student once how I could listen to both, she looked at me like I had six heads. She was the calm soft spoken type so I'm sure she would have considered herself open-minded. Some things are just off limits I guess :hihi:

samsam wrote:I always thought trance was dance music for people that didn't really like dance music, like former metal heads.

That said, I'm a former metal head that likes most dance music except trance, so what do I know.
I liked trance in the mid to late 90s when it was fresh and still underground and 99% of tracks were instrumental. Now it has become a mainstream abomination with female vocalists on every track blocking out the music with their pointless waffle about being in the clouds or reaching your goals or bitching about the boyfriend she dumped 6 months ago. :hihi:

lotus2035 wrote:Now it has become a mainstream abomination with female vocalists on every track blocking out the music with their pointless waffle about being in the clouds or reaching your goals or bitching about the boyfriend she dumped 6 months ago. :hihi:
This! That's why I can't stand 99% of the so-called trance tracks released in the last few years. I wonder why they still call it "trance".
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

lotus2035 wrote:blocking out the music with their pointless waffle
That's pretty much what I feel about psytrance.

"Oh, this is a nice track... oh another sample of Terrence McKenna tripping balls and talking about elves again. Next track.

"This is pretty cool... oh, it's Terrence McKenna tripping balls and talking about how LSD is the gateway to human evolution. Next track.

"It's got a good... wait, it's Terrence McKenna tripping balls and talking about how we have to eat shrooms and get back to our ancient roots. Next track.

"This is cool... wait, it's Genesis P. Orridge tripping balls and talking about elves. f**k this."

lotus2035 wrote: I liked trance in the mid to late 90s when it was fresh and still underground and 99% of tracks were instrumental. Now it has become a mainstream abomination with female vocalists on every track blocking out the music with their pointless waffle about being in the clouds or reaching your goals or bitching about the boyfriend she dumped 6 months ago. :hihi:
I liked trance in the mid to late 90s as well, then at some point they started calling most of the good stuff "hard trance" though. That sub-genre seems to have survived a little better and only somewhere half-way towards degenerating into main-stream garbage.

edit: not that I'm really following the scene, so I could be totally off, but that's the impression I've somehow got

It's a quite obvious correlation, neither Psytrance or Metal got any bass

Psytrance basslines must be the simplest ever, always in the same key, bam, bam, bam (yawn)

Metal basslines, either follow the guitar line, or turn up the frequency so much as to put the buzz guitar in the front, and obliterate the bass from the mix (ala ...and justice for all)

Numanoid,

funny, I feel the total opposite.
To me the basslines are the most important ingredient in psytrance and very hard to get right. There are actually very few psytrance tracks where I can tolerate key changes in the bassline (partly because key changes in psytrance are usually cheesy, partly because key changes take away from the driving nature of the bassline).
Actually the function of the bassline is much closer to that of the rhythmic guitar riffs in thrash metal.
I've always felt that psytrance has more in common with the less experimental forms of jazz with a strong and repetitive (though nuanced) rhythmic backdrop for a playful lead.

@Azax Syndrom: Voices of Madness is just great. Too bad he didn't keep that level.
You have no right to remain silent!
www.soundcloud/phunkberater

Josmoker wrote:There are actually very few psytrance tracks where I can tolerate key changes in the bassline
Yeah, fair enough, we all got different tastes.

Listening to electronic music, having a bouncing bass line moving round the keys is of prime importance to me.

It doesn't have to be very complex, something like Kim Deal of the Pixies playing will do. Very effective and to the point.

I'd be interested to hear an example of what you are referring to.
You have no right to remain silent!
www.soundcloud/phunkberater

Check out Hallucinogen - LSD after the break, ca 5 minutes, when the bassline starts to wander in the keys, pure heaven :love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVcCCW8puSY

Well, there's whole sub genre (full on) with similar basslines, that's actually one of the main things in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4LQUEzhjlU

Even this short one bounces a lot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX30UbeThog
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Correlation? umm maybe these two bands:
-Infected Mushroom
-Ozric Tentacles

I have metal heads friends and raver hippies listen to and like both.

There are some jamband jamtronica/livetronica bands that will have a heavier sound with metal sounding guitars sometimes and incorporate a psychedelic trancey electro disco sound too. Bands such as Umphrey's McGee, Conspirator, Particle, The Disco Biscuits, Sound Tribe Sector 9, Papadosio, Digital Tape Machine, EOTO, Future Rock, The New Deal.

They can meld heavier guitar and metal oriented structures and sounds in, without going full on industrial sounding, and still keep it organic and evolving, and doing it live at a show. You wont see a DJ pushing buttons, unless that's your thing.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”