Hardware synth with the best sequencer

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have the Pro-2 and had the Elektron A4. The sequencer on the A4 is seriously easy and fun to use. I'd highly recommend it.

The Pro-2 is not strictly polyphonic and it's not able to record polyphony or even record in real time at the moment.

Furthermore I'd recommend the A4 over something like the Dark time because you get to save all sequences and their interactions with the patch and flip through them seamlessly. It's a winner.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

thetechnobear wrote:@pdxindy, what do you like about the AK sequencer so much? why is it better than others or Live+Push?

hope this is not OT, but given topic is HW synth with best sequencer, its seems kind of interesting to know what makes these things 'the best' - what makes them special - its clear the Elektron is good, many highly rate it (though some say it takes a while to learn)
(I've read the elektron manuals, and whilst good in giving details, I suspect they don't really 'sell' the machines well)
Until I had the AK in hand, I found the manuals actually confusing. I mean, they informed me what is possible, but not so helpful for understanding workflow.

What I like about the AK sequencer is the workflow. It is very hands on and powerful. I also like that it is connected to the synth. I mean, presets are instant. You can put a different preset on each step and there is no hesitation or glitch. You can mute and unmute tracks at any time so I can be playing on one track and mute another one. I can hold a note or chord on one track and switch tracks and play something else on that track. You can record automation in realtime or per step (p-locks). Hold down a few trig keys and tweak the filter and those steps are automated. The whole machine is robust and does not glitch or hesitate with the timing.

It is not that there is something I can do in the AK that I could not do with Live/Push (besides that it is an analog synth with its own character) but it is the playability. It all depends on your interests. If you want to edit tons of little details and tweak stuff for hours, use Live... If you want to perform in realtime, then the AK shines.

I don't do a lot of tweaking with it. I record something as I go... then I may add some p-locks, tweak a step length or two. If I am not quite happy with it, I erase the track and try again. It is a lot of fun.

I also love my Push and Live and my softsynths.

You should consider a Cirklon and pair it with whatever synths take your fancy.

thanks @pdxindy, very interesting… will try to find out more about the workflow, and see if I can see how it pieces together :)

I've now gone off the idea of the A4 now guys - it does look fantastic to be honest but I've reminded myself of how little I got on with synths that aren't one knob per function (or close to anyway).

I'm not going to be able to have a stack of synths that cover quite specific tasks... this needs to be a real workhorse and cover all bases, so the goalposts have shifted a bit. The sequencer and fat analog sound is really damn tempting, but having already failed on the menu driven programming style previously, it could be a really expensive mistake.

The Cirklon looks stunning, but £1k for a sequencer alone is WAY too much for me :(

Back to the drawing board :)

Following on from that last post... may as well state where my current purchase decision is in case anyone wants to chip in. It's a bit of a deviation from the original plan in the OP, but I think it makes sense. You need these little avenues of thought when buying gear right? :)

So the reason for looking at the A4 was because of the sequencer - I'm very much looking for a synth that's fun to use, has real character and encourages getting things down (rather than menu diving, stop starting etc). Taking my original budget of circa £900-1000 I've come to this (current) conclusion:

I have Push and therefore should fully embrace the amazing possibilities for step sequencing this offers, therefore sequencer no longer mandatory. I use it for everything else, I'm probably using it least for the very thing it's designed for!

For the same price as an A4 I could get a Arturia MiniBrute and a 2nd hand Nord Lead 3 Rack.

MiniBrute: tonnes of character, very fun to programme (spent hours on one the other day), simple and covers all my mono needs nicely.

Nord Lead 3: Absolute DREAM to programme, best interface on a synth ever IMO, would definitely encourage experimentation and covers poly needs. Some people have said they don't think the Lead 3's sound good, but after a lot of digging it appears fairly clear that those people are judging it by the presets - which are indeed terrible. The fun/output it provides users seems to hugely outweigh a few preset surfers being quick to judge. They hold their value well so in the unlikely event it sounds really shit then I can still sell it. I'm not going to get my hands on one to try out, but there is an army of VERY happy customers who rave about this synth.

If you have any thoughts, please do chip in!

cheers ;)

stevemac wrote:I've now gone off the idea of the A4 now guys - it does look fantastic to be honest but I've reminded myself of how little I got on with synths that aren't one knob per function (or close to anyway).
I'd suggest you see if you can spend a little time with an A4 before deciding. It is not at all like the old digital hardware synths where you had to do lots of menu diving through multiple layers. Yes it is not one knob per function, but it is still fast and easy to edit sounds as most stuff is no more than one selection in (hit filter knob to edit filters, env knob to edit envelopes etc).

Also, it is very deep. You would need a helluva lot of knobs to cover all functions so I think it is a good balance between power and ease of use. You also have good sounding included effects.

Sure you have a simple knob per function with a Minibrute... but then what if you want some delay on a sound? What if you want to sequence a bassline? Then it is more complicated.

My AK is self contained. I can take just it over to a friends house and I have polyphony, 4 tracks, great sequencing, effects, analog sound and excellent performance control. It is fun and invites playing and not thinking too much.

It may be that your idea of the Minibrute, Nord and Push will work better for you... but I think you should see if you can try the A4 in person for a few hours. It is really a creative and compelling piece of equipment. Sure it is not for everyone, but it is one of the cream of the crop and deserves an in person test drive.

pdxindy wrote: I think you should see if you can try the A4 in person for a few hours. It is really a creative and compelling piece of equipment. Sure it is not for everyone, but it is one of the cream of the crop and deserves an in person test drive.
Sounds like sage advice given the obvious power and fat sound it appears to have.

If you go for a Minibrute, get the SE version. It has it's own (simple) sequencer.

If money is no object, you should check out Radikal's Spectralis 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-47BzrV ... height=520

HanafiH wrote:If money is no object, you should check out Radikal's Spectralis 2.
Unfortunately, it really is an object :) Nice heads up though, looks very nice

Ahhh, the Cirklon looks amazing.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

This is a promo video for a new Slam album (well known Scottish techno duo), that happens to feature the Cirklon triggering a modular synth. Very cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqoEes8qrYg

Cirklon is a dream machine for composing techno / trance if you're working with multiple hardware synths and samplers ...

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”