Who would recommend upgrading to LogicPro9 from LP7(!) ?

Official support for: acousticsamples.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello to all,

Hail to the great sounds from AcousticsampleS obviously (I wouldn't be here otherwise) :love:

I'm trying to figure out what I would gain from upgrading from Logic Pro 7, which I have been using for years (after 5 and 6 !), to Logic Pro 9.

It's a BIG thing for me, as I'm on a Mac PowerPC, meaning no Intel processor. It's a Quad G5 (4x 2.66 Ghz), it's a powerhouse, certainly no shortcomings performance-wise. I run OSX Tiger on it, the system is stable and I know how to troubleshoot it in the rare case of a bug. I guess everyone knows how good it feels to drive a car you know inside out ;)

I have been noticing only lately how more and more new software is Intel-Only. But in my case, upgrading to LP9 means nothing less than buying a new Mac!
(I have considered going back to PC and maybe Cubase to have "more computer for less money"... but I'm at home in Logic AND find it hard to imagine to do without some of its fabulous native VSTs!!!)

Could anyone tell me about his experience switching from LP7 to 8 (I hear that's where everything changed) or 9 ? Is it worth it?

ANY feedback will be GREATLY apreciated - as well as a simple link to a thread here or somewhere else on the topic!!!

And sorry if this is a little OFF topic (not so very much about AcousticsampleS...) :)

Cheers.
listen for free to our album TRUMPET + KEYBOARDS duet (soundtrack-fusion style): http://www.myspace.com/fedido

Ok since nobody answered, i will try to give you some advice.

I have been using Logic as a main DAW for a long time now, but i started from version 8. What i surely can say is that there is a huge improvement from V8 to v9 :)

I work on an intel mac, and i also know that the support of logic 8 and 9 for power pc users has been dropped, but it still works on it.

There is only one thing that can be a problem is the compatibility of the ASPlayer with tiger... you have to use at least 10.5 intel.

Hope that helps.

thysm00 wrote:I work on an intel mac, and i also know that the support of logic 8 and 9 for power pc users has been dropped, but it still works on it.
Let me start by thanking you for noticing my post ;)

As you started out on Logic 8, which (as I understand it) was a huge makeover and departure from the "multiple window concept" (one for the tracks, one for the mixer and so on) until Logic 7, you can't tell me how much better it is to work in this (more or less?) "single window" environment.

BUT you are telling me something I didn't know (uhm... or had forgotten!?): that Logic 8 used to be compatible with PPC - and still is!!!
Only support has been dropped, you say.

What you're saying implies I could buy a copy of Logic 9 and it would still work on my PPC. :o Wow.
I'm going to try to squeeze out of Apple's customer service the guarantee that this will work (I can hear them trying not to laugh already :x )

I'll be sure to post here about any new developpment if I actually try this!
thysm00 wrote:There is only one thing that can be a problem is the compatibility of the ASPlayer with tiger... you have to use at least 10.5 intel.
Yep, I instantly noticed that requirement - but, fortunately, Logic's EXSP 24 allows me to use my Kawai EX Pro with no problem (and if there are some subtle things missing, I won't miss them as I don't know they *could* be there ;) )
thysm00 wrote:Hope that helps.
That sure did!

CHEERS !!!
listen for free to our album TRUMPET + KEYBOARDS duet (soundtrack-fusion style): http://www.myspace.com/fedido

Return to “AcousticsampleS”