Jam Mode?

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I watched on the first video "Chapter 1: Basics" that there is a jam mode...I tried to get this to work last night...I mean, wow! That is amazing! But after monkeying around with it for a while, I still couldnt figure it out. Anyone have a quasi tutorial approach on how to set it up?

That would be amazing for what I do, as I play freehand most of the the time.

Heh so I'm not the only one creating topics after all :-). So this is a copy :-) :

It is pretty simple - enable jam mode for a rhythm you would like to jam with and play your keyboard on that channel. For example, load bossa nova at channel 1 and enable jam mode for that rhythm channel. And then play your keyboard on MIDI channel 1 (the same one). Normally MDrummer would think you are giving him commands, btu when jam mode is enabled, he listens and jams with you instead.
Don't hesitate to ask if not clear yet.

Btw. am I the only one who can create threads? (I am a moderator, but anyway...)
If so, please send me an email to info@meldaproduction.com and I'll create threads as necessary. On the other hand this way I can keep order here .
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Anyone can create topics in forum unless you have it set up so only beta testers on your list can see forum at all.
Ugo has beta test forum. I don't think the general user can see the forum in list if they are not part of beta test group.

Are you saying that we shouldn't create topics and that you will create them after we send you an e-mail?

Aaaaha, I'm new in this :-).

Create topics if you wish. It was just an attempt to find something positive about the fact, that you cannot :-).
Please if you can name them "MDrummer - Bug/Idea/.. - subject", so that there is some kind of order. Maybe it is useless, but I'd like to try it :).
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

You could have support forum: MeldaProduction Support

and MeldaProduction Beta Testers (hidden)

like this:

Ugo Beta Testing
You must be a member of the Ugo Beta testing Group to access this forum.

I can't see Beta Testing forum unless I'm logged into KVR and am recognized as a member of the beta testing group.

Aaaaha, Ben must configure this, right?

On the other isn't it a little advantageous when everyone has access - if you are a user, you can check if something was not reported by a bug etc... Just seems that it is not so necessary.
Vojtech

It's up to you, of course. Yes, I think Admin has to configure.
Some developers don't hide anything and clearly mark topics as Beta Testing topics.
If someone is not a beta tester, they might not want to wade through other stuff if it isn't clearly marked for general user.

Two forums would keep it better organized, but it's a matter of preference.

MeldaProduction wrote:Heh so I'm not the only one creating topics after all :-). So this is a copy :-) :

It is pretty simple - enable jam mode for a rhythm you would like to jam with and play your keyboard on that channel. For example, load bossa nova at channel 1 and enable jam mode for that rhythm channel. And then play your keyboard on MIDI channel 1 (the same one). Normally MDrummer would think you are giving him commands, btu when jam mode is enabled, he listens and jams with you instead.
Don't hesitate to ask if not clear yet.

Btw. am I the only one who can create threads? (I am a moderator, but anyway...)
If so, please send me an email to info@meldaproduction.com and I'll create threads as necessary. On the other hand this way I can keep order here .
This doesnt quite make sense to me just yet, as I am still new to reaper...and FL does not allow for such things.

I will figure this out...as this is not your problem, but more me coming to understand my DAW better. I am new to reaper (as mentioned, FL has a number of limitations) and will need to learn this stuff.

I will ask on the cockos forums for pointers to this.

Maybe you should get some demoversion of Cubase, or Sonar is also not bad. They are much more easy to use (Cubase especially) and these things and are very straightforward there.

Anyway you can try MDrummer standalone, connect your MIDI keyboard and just play with it a little. You just need to know, how to set MIDI output channel on your device.
Vojtech

I use FLStudio, also.
I guess I will need to use demo or free host to do some things?
I have Sonar 4.0 that I never use. Maybe that will work and I can learn how to Rewire it in FLStudio or vice versa.

MeldaProduction wrote:Maybe you should get some demoversion of Cubase, or Sonar is also not bad. They are much more easy to use (Cubase especially) and these things and are very straightforward there.

Anyway you can try MDrummer standalone, connect your MIDI keyboard and just play with it a little. You just need to know, how to set MIDI output channel on your device.
I appreciate the suggestion, but I dont care for sonar much, and cubase...honestly is just too expensive for my blood.

I actually really like reapers GUI...it is the most intuitive for me...I am just SO used to FL, that its still very unfamiliar.

I feel more comfortable with reaper...there are just some issues (workflow) I need to wrap my head around first.

ok, I still cannot get this to work...am I really that dense? It just doesnt make sense to me :(

Well I think you found a potential bug - in standalone jam mode works correctly, but in VST it does not. I'll take a look at it and let you know.

Yeah and I didn't want to make you change the host. It's just to me Cubase/Sonar looks more simple to do things like changing properties of track. That's all, really ;-).
Vojtech

Ok I checked and:
The jam mode does not work if the automatic breaks are disabled, because this is how jam mode works - changes the way how MDrummer plays on each break. In many cases this is suitable - MDrummer puts there a fill every 4 (e.g.) bars and changes the way it plays. But the truth is, that in VST it is not ideal, since you have some song structure and must start MDrummer manually.

Ok, so let's talk, how it should be ideal:

Idea 1) We are now working on the "song structure" (similar to jamstix / bfd2). So you will also be able to use it instead of MIDI commands and/or probably to drag & drop MIDI commands track from it. That would speed things up even more. And in jam mode, MDrummer would follow the structure only to know, when to play, not what to play.

Idea 2) MDrummer would start playback when you start playing and automatic breaks would be turned on automatically to avoid the current problems.

Idea n) Heh any ideas?

Ok guys let's mak it great!
Vojtech

Return to “MeldaProduction”