Q @ Making remixes

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Really noob question.

Well, I was wondering how the big artists make remixes of popular hits... particularly, where do they get the vocals from?

rbet wrote:Really noob question.

Well, I was wondering how the big artists make remixes of popular hits... particularly, where do they get the vocals from?
big artists go to the original artist's label and get the vocal track (something you need an existing signing or a big reputation to do)

If youre lucky, you'll be able to find an acapella MP3 off a p2p program.

other than that, you're stuck to sampling the original.

EDIT- also there are vocal removal technics but they rarely work well enough.

rbet wrote:Really noob question.

Usually from the labels themselves. There are some websites here and there where you can download some of the older acapellas, but generally labels seek out their remixers.

You can get vinyls with the accappella on for many new pop tracks. I bought a couple from Juno records (think its www.juno.co.uk).

Also, especially with dance remixes, producers will request that a certain artist do the mix and supply all the origial recordings.

Another way to get material is to keep an eye out from remix comps. They have them all the time on the net, and you can usually get more than just accappellas.

yeah... thanks for the replies people... I tried sampling from the original tracks. I t have zero production skills anyway, so it sucked. I was reduced to using a few vocal removal plugins which didn't work too well (I am sure I am to blame for that too).

Where can I find info on remix competitions? Do the labels/artists themselves organise them? As you can tell, I am really new to this.
:: FL Studio v9.0.3 :: u-he Zebra2 v2.5 :: u-he MFM v2.0.2b5 :: u-he Uhbik v1.1 :: EnergyXT v1.4.1/v2.0.2 ::

Acid planet hold remix comps all the time. Other than that I just either hear about it from others. BT did a really good one last year where he create sample packs with all the parts from a few of his tracks. I think NIN are doing one right now actually, might be worth a butch.

um for acid planet comps, do I have to use ACID Pro only? Also, can you link me to the NIN competition?
:: FL Studio v9.0.3 :: u-he Zebra2 v2.5 :: u-he MFM v2.0.2b5 :: u-he Uhbik v1.1 :: EnergyXT v1.4.1/v2.0.2 ::

There's actually some pretty good tips on just that topic in DigiZine. Although it's geared to Pro Tools users, it would work with any other system. Unfortunately the article doesn't appear to be in their online edition, but you can usually pick up a free copy at an instrument shop. It's under "Workshop - In The Loop" and the article title is "Lead Vocals in the Remix."

rbet wrote:um for acid planet comps, do I have to use ACID Pro only? Also, can you link me to the NIN competition?
Not sure the site for the NIN comp, but its something to do with Garageband so try Apple.

On Acid planet you ususally get wav's. You dont need Acid to use them.

Return to “Production Techniques”