Using stompboxes or reamping with a DAW

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wasn't sure where to post it but here's the story:

I just bought two stompboxes for my guitar. The initial thought was to use them when playing live or jamming in a studio with my group. Unfortunately one member of the band had some serious problems and I don't see many live performances or jamming in the near future. So I thought I could use them in my bedroom (.. erm living room ) studio. Of course I can use them as usual when micing my amp but I was thinking of ways in using them after recording for more flexibility. My set-up is now a dual preamp/DI (audiobuddy) going to AP2496. No mixer available. Outs of AP2496 now are going to amp+speakers ...

wait a minute. I just thought of something as I was typing: I think I could use the tape outs from my amp (I should hard pan the whole mix left and the "to-be-effectd" chanel right) and record the stereo outs of the stompboxes. What do you think? Other thoughts? Same goes for reamping. Are the tape outs from the amp suitable for going to input of the guitar amp (not sure) ?

FIY the stompboxes are the Echo Park and Tap Tremolo from Line6. The purists may say that these digital modelling thing sucks but these stompboxes used with a tube amp sound stunning :love:

"Are the tape outs from the amp suitable for going to input of the guitar amp (not sure) ? "

nah mate u need a reamping box.. the levels and output impedance of the tape outs are v. different from guitar

"Reamping box" That's what I should Google for, I suppose.
What about the stompboxes. I think they should be less sensitive to Volts and Ohms.
If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain

Return to “Production Techniques”