PSP Vintage Warmer - feedback

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

anyone running this? It seems nice but a tad limited.

use it on almost everything at the minute ...

... yeah its relatively limited in scope ... but what it does it does VERY well IMHO ...

slainte 8) rob

it didnt get its nicname vintage farter for nothing :hihi:

hahaha ttoz - is that good or bad?

Everything farts in hands of a lame operator. Read the manual. Set the times and thresholds appropriately.
Don't overcompress.

come back ttoz....

elaborate please...

Montana, when used over full mixes and on bass instruments Vintage Warmer is known to loosen up the bottom end in a wierd way that can often be described as "farty." While you can work around this by going to the back panel and playing with things like the saturation levels, and using this in combination with elements of the front panel, it's not very intuitive, and can be really time consuming. This is why I'm not big on recomending Vintage Warmer for full mixes, but on everything from drums (throw it on a submix or overhead or room sounds) to pianos (sounds great on piano samples) to just about any other individual instrument it can really do great things. Now that full latency compensation is supported I've gone back to using it quite a bit in these tasks, and in that respect it's invaluable to me. But I've still not quite figured out how to quickly clean up the bass over full mixes and I have quite a few other mastering limiters that I'd prefer anyway. I tend to now go for a clean mastering chain, and try and get my warmth in the mix.
I'm sorry this post wasn't about techno.

what others are you using?

Up until just recently I've been using TLS Maximizer which was free, very transparent, and is a great (but sadly no longer available) mastering limiter. Right now I'm beta testing a new limiter which I can't discuss but is again transparant and just generally fantastic (when it's out I'll let you know). Aside from that I was very impressed with Voxengo's Elephant and always meant to getting around to buy it (now I'm not so sure I need it, but it is damn good). So if you need a clean limiter in your mastering chain these are all great options.
I'm sorry this post wasn't about techno.

MB wrote:Set the times and thresholds appropriately. Don't overcompress.
I tried it some time ago and first I appreciated the sound of it. But after a while I realized it was the built-in limiter that I was hearing all the time. :)

I always use Vintage Warmer on full mix and i'm very happy with the sound...

Things i always do :
- "knee" must be < 5
- "Mix" arround 75%
- Keep the EQ adjust on "0"...
- Then You can try to decrease the value of Saturation of "low" and "mid" on the back panel.
- After you can play with the drive and a little with the EQ.

With that setting, i really find VW does something very nice to the sound...

I use VW on rhythm guitar tracks and it really makes them lights out.

It does seem overzealous on bass guitar tracks, so I go the Waves Ren Bass road for those.

Drew
White Castle Studios North
Scarsdale, NY 10583

"Buy'em By The Sack!"

Return to “Effects”