Using reverb on a separate bus? (software only)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What is the 'correct' (yes I know) way to use reverb?
Should I route desired tracks to a single dedicated reverb bus?
Should I then set the reverb on that track to 100% wet?

Having tried this I find that it sounds a bit much, but then if it's less than 100% you get the dry signals bleeding through which may be undesirable.

I could just put a reverb plug in on every track i wish to process, but that's a bit excessive in terms of system performance and possibly less efficient.

What is the accepted, if any, method (we are talking using Daw and software, not hardware at all)

There’s no “correct” way to do things, as you already know, but the setup you describe is basically correct. You should have the reverb plugin set at full wet, can control the amount sent to it to control how much reverb each channel gets, and then control the level of the overall reverb by the level of the send.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:02 pm There’s no “correct” way to do things, as you already know, but the setup you describe is basically correct. You should have the reverb plugin set at full wet, can control the amount sent to it to control how much reverb each channel gets, and then control the level of the overall reverb by the level of the send.
Thanks

ghostwhistler wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 12:34 pm Should I route desired tracks to a single dedicated reverb bus?
Should I then set the reverb on that track to 100% wet?
Correct. The reverb has to be 100% wet. The send amount is then what sets how much of each part/track is sent to the "Room" that the song is happening in. Technically you can set every Send to 100% or Unity - 0dB - and then adjust overall reverb level at the Return but that is a bit untidy and limits options. Generally, the safe starting point is to default all Sends to -12dB and the Return to 0dB.

While you can put a reverb on every track there are several far more pressing problems than CPU. With a reverb on each track, you can have every sound in a different space esp if you have a different set of settings for each reverb unit. Even if every reverb unit has the same preset, there is no "gluing" which happens when you have all the separate sounds coming together in the Send reverb.

https://youtu.be/cyS9CxI7v08?si=UThu0EPml9DDlUmG

p.s. Take care to use the official Send and Return system in your DAW as some will add latency if you create another channel.

Thanks, that's super helpful

I agree with the above. Basically:

The long answer
There is no correct way, it all depends on your artistic goals, if it sounds good it is good, etc etc etc

The short answer
Put each reverb on a "send"

Return to “Production Techniques”