Synths with modulation like serum but with multi-out and alot of oscillators

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am in reaper and using Au5's technique on using serum to modulate parameters in other plugins as shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPSeNM2mZoI&t=263s

The TLDR is: you make a pure signal using serum's oscillator 1 and another with oscillator 2, and then send that to a CV device that then follows the signal. you can assign the cv amount to any parameter.

The disadvantage is, you only get 2 modulators per serum patch, since there are only 2 oscillators and his trick was to assign osc 1 to the left and osc 2 to the right.

I'm wondering if there are any plugins that have multiple outputs where I could send a CV signal to let's say 16 different outs in one plugin. I assume something modular like reaktor could work but idk if it has MSEGs?

My criteria for modulation:

- MSEGs
- LFOs
- Velocity modulation
- Note modulation (ie keytracker)
- Audio sidechain modulation (like bitwig's "audio sidechain" modulator) - not necessary but would be a nice bonus
- Ideally a drag and drop functionality for assigning modulators like serum has. But open to suggestions that aren't as well

You can do all this (incl. your prior questions ref. multi CC to single cc) with MCC Generator from Melda.

I may not be grasping the point of the Modulation in the video, but reaktor is the only way that seems like an all purpose modulation generator. If I was going to setup something kind of like this I'd just use bitwig's onboard modulators. I'm sure M4L is capable of something similar in Live as well.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Yep, Reaktor would be tailor-made solution (e.g. Rouxdolph Modulator V2.2 as a starting ensemble).

But buying Reaktor for this task is like using a truck for getting a parcel to the local post office.

In Avenger 2, which is a kind of Serum on big big steroids (I know I will be flamed by some serum die hard lovers but it is just my opinion), you can have 5 different outputs, 1 master, 4 aux (I am not counting the outputs for the drum kit).

You may also consider Bitwig if you want unlimited control and audio rate modulators (including wavetable modulators).

And of course, Falcon can do it also with 16(?) outputs. But that doesn't count because anyway Falcon can do anything.

SynthMaster 3 (Beta + Demo will be released in a week)
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

elassi wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:56 pm You can do all this (incl. your prior questions ref. multi CC to single cc) with MCC Generator from Melda.
unfortunately i just got MCCgenerator and it cannot assign multiple modulators to the same parameter. you commented on the other post i made about it saying it's not possible

elassi wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:16 pm Yep, Reaktor would be tailor-made solution (e.g. Rouxdolph Modulator V2.2 as a starting ensemble).

But buying Reaktor for this task is like using a truck for getting a parcel to the local post office.
can reaktor do mseg's? ive looked around and havent seen any msegs in reaktor but maybe i missed it

Jac459 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:26 pm In Avenger 2, which is a kind of Serum on big big steroids (I know I will be flamed by some serum die hard lovers but it is just my opinion), you can have 5 different outputs, 1 master, 4 aux (I am not counting the outputs for the drum kit).
I have used avenger in the past. for this use case, it only has one mod envelope so the extra outputs wouldn't really be doing much. but thanks
Jac459 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:26 pm You may also consider Bitwig if you want unlimited control and audio rate modulators (including wavetable modulators).
im actually coming from bitwig. the modulation system is AMAZING and i am obviously not expecting to have anything nearly as good, but just want something to modulate a few things when i use them on the odd occasion in reaper.
Jac459 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:26 pm And of course, Falcon can do it also with 16(?) outputs. But that doesn't count because anyway Falcon can do anything.
yeah ive been considering it, it looks like a beast in general. shame it doesnt have a demo

Digitt wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:14 pm you commented on the other post i made about it saying it's not possible
Have a look at it again. ;)

elassi wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:32 pm
Digitt wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:14 pm you commented on the other post i made about it saying it's not possible
Have a look at it again. ;)

Digitt wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:22 pm
im actually coming from bitwig. the modulation system is AMAZING and i am obviously not expecting to have anything nearly as good, but just want something to modulate a few things when i use them on the odd occasion in reaper.
I thought Reaper had some modulation options?

pdxindy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:22 pm
I thought Reaper had some modulation options?
it does, but its nowhere near as flexible and visual as bitwig. reaper has excellent routing. but for modulation, the problem is that per parameter you can only have 1 LFO, 1 sidechain, and 1 linked parameter. the linked parameter can include midi CC so you can link something like Xfer LFOtool to your parameter, but then you can't link an addition LFOTool or whatever you want to link. basically, one LFOTool can be linked to infinite parameters, but a parameter can only be linked to one LFOTool (or whatever else you want to link). its quite a big limitation which is leading to me finding these workarounds.

other than that, I am LOVING reaper. its incredible and excels in so many ways. i'm finding my workflow to be way more fluid than in bitwig (which does have good workflow overall, not knocking it, just reaper is more fluid due to the customizability and actions etc). I realized while using bitwig that I do 90% of my modulation during the synth phase, so things like serum can do that. I do some creative modulation on effects that come after my synth though, and while I am ok to have that process be less fluid than bitwig, cos its worth the trade-off of more fluid workflow overall, I do want to be able to do an idea when i have one.

so far using serum has been a decent workaround, but of course it doesnt hurt to ask on this forum for some options as perhaps there's something less limiting.

Jac459 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:26 pm In Avenger 2, which is a kind of Serum on big big steroids (I know I will be flamed by some serum die hard lovers but it is just my opinion), you can have 5 different outputs, 1 master, 4 aux (I am not counting the outputs for the drum kit).
I have used avenger in the past. for this use case, it only has one mod envelope so the extra outputs wouldn't really be doing much. but thanks
It has 8 mseg, 5 LFO and 8 step sequencers.

I just thought also zebralette 3 is free and has super MSEGs (but you will need multiple instances).

Jac459 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:41 pm
It has 8 mseg, 5 LFO and 8 step sequencers.

I just thought also zebralette 3 is free and has super MSEGs (but you will need multiple instances).
oh i never knew it has 8msegs! my apologies, a vid i watched only showed one. i'll look into avenger

zebralette, would achieve the same thing as serum (ie only 2 parameters per instance), but thanks :)

Return to “Instruments”