Jumpin Jack Flash - best version - Stones or Johnny Winter?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

From two of my favourite live albums and maybe the best rock riff ever(up there anyway...)

Johnny Winter Live And 1970
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbPucX4Oj28

Stones Get Yer Ya-yas out 1970
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5unQhz2-I8

The year before or after it was the europe tour, and I watched Stones in Gothenburg, Liseberg for the first time.

After Mick Taylor left I lost interest in Stones. Him and Keith had something special going always. Sad story.

Any more contenders, bring them on....

I'll go with Get Yer Ya-Yas.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

i can't choose. both such great versions. i grew up on those albums. :tu:

The Stones were always terrible musicians but very good songwriters, just listen to Melanie – Ruby Tuesday, Marianne Faithful - as tears go by, The Verve - Out of time and Ringo Starr at 1963 (with John, Paul and George as studio musicians) - I wanna fry your pan, and learn that other people did a much better job with songs written by the Stones than the Stones themselves.

nirm123 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:41 pm The Stones were always terrible musicians but very good songwriters, just listen to Melanie – Ruby Tuesday, Marianne Faithful - as tears go by, The Verve - Out of time and Ringo Starr at 1963 (with John, Paul and George as studio musicians) - I wanna fry your pan, and learn that other people did a much better job with songs written by the Stones than the Stones themselves.
I've never wanted to listen to musicians. When it comes to my own tastes, music is all about songs, sounds, attitude, vibe. The Stones in their heyday had all of those things. Even by today's standard of guitarists with great technical ability, guys like Hendrix and Page and Clapton wouldn't compare from a chops perspective. Let alone guys like Keith Richards and Neil Young. But I'll take Neil over Michael Landeau or Tim Pierce any day of the week. No offense to those guys but Neil's playing just speaks to me and feels real.

I think those two camps of listeners (the "I want to hear great musicians" versus "I want to hear music that feels good" camps) just don't get each other. And I'm sure it's a spectrum. But yeah, musicianship doesn't matter much to me. Not if you've got a cool song. When I think of technically gifted musicians, I feel like they're making music to impress other musicians, which isn't impressive to me. But some folks clearly care more about than I do and that's cool.

So to answer the original question: Stones all the way!

nirm123 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:41 pm The Stones were always terrible musicians but very good songwriters, just listen to Melanie – Ruby Tuesday, Marianne Faithful - as tears go by, The Verve - Out of time and Ringo Starr at 1963 (with John, Paul and George as studio musicians) - I wanna fry your pan, and learn that other people did a much better job with songs written by the Stones than the Stones themselves.
An example would be Bette Midler with Beat of burden as well. But not a rule by any means, to my taste. I had the 20 first albums, and a few songs had greater hits with other artists. I prefer Stones almost any time.

Keith vocals on Salt of the earth is incredible.

Studio album Sticky Fingers is hard to beat. Exile on main street is really good too.

Producer comes into it as well.

Favourite on Get Yer Ya-yas would be Midnite Rambler version that they failed that performance level on many other live albums. Some bootlegs I've got too.
- if to blame somebody would be Charlie Watts that were not on top every session
- a lot of tempo shifts in that song

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:25 pm
I've never wanted to listen to musicians. When it comes to my own tastes, music is all about songs, sounds, attitude, vibe. The Stones in their heyday had all of those things. Even by today's standard of guitarists with great technical ability, guys like Hendrix and Page and Clapton wouldn't compare from a chops perspective. Let alone guys like Keith Richards and Neil Young. But I'll take Neil over Michael Landeau or Tim Pierce any day of the week. No offense to those guys but Neil's playing just speaks to me and feels real.

I think those two camps of listeners (the "I want to hear great musicians" versus "I want to hear music that feels good" camps) just don't get each other. And I'm sure it's a spectrum. But yeah, musicianship doesn't matter much to me. Not if you've got a cool song. When I think of technically gifted musicians, I feel like they're making music to impress other musicians, which isn't impressive to me. But some folks clearly care more about than I do and that's cool.

So to answer the original question: Stones all the way!
"sounds, attitude, vibe" - This is exactly the direct result of fine musicianship, much less of a specific song (a song doesn't impose a specific sound which must be used). There are many examples of great songs which didn't attract much attention in their original performance but other singers and musicians managed to take it to an all other level: Johnny Cash, ‘Hurt’, Soft Cell, ‘Tainted Love’, Jimi Hendrix, ‘All Along the Watchtower’ (and many other Dylans songs which were improved by better singers), Guns N Roses, ‘Live And Let Die’ (I worship Macca but Axel did it much better), Sinead O’Connor, ‘Nothing Compares 2 U’, Led Zeppelin, ‘Babe I’m Gonna Leave You’ just to name a few.

These aren't two camps of listeners, great songs need great musicianship in order fulfil their potential, you really need both, and when both meet, it's a next level experience, when great turn into divine.

If to make my own take on what Funkybot wrote
- talking about virtuosos vs good musicians
- of course we need good enough musicians

And I agree that some people is a separate category, that mainly go for virtuoso in that music is good because of that. Technically challenging makes it good if mastering that.
- and that can be impressive and cool, for several minutes
- for the mind or academic one could say
- after that it's all down to if music hits you or not if you want to hear it again

Without naming them there are a lot of guitar schredders that just pass me by
- impressive for sure, for several minutes, then starting to look at my watch
- but music does not hit me, even if envious over that technical skill

Stones for me is an entity and the total is really a lot of soul
- not virtuosos, just a very good band
- and as said, incredible song writers
- not a bad combination

I prefer what I consider their 'golden era' Beggar's Banquet to Exile. Taylor's swan song, Time Waits For No One' a virtuoso performance, is one of only a handful of songs that I like post Exile.
I get very tired, very quickly, of shredders, arpeggiating and sweep-picking to nowhere. It's soulless, to me. Can't imagine it does anything for anyone other than other wanker-wannabees. Certainly, a slow blues got girls more interested in me than any 64th note shredding I could've done.
Music gotta have soul for me. I'd take Bob Dylan over any metal shredder you'd care to name.

Having said that, Winter is a monster guitar player. Love his Bonie Maronie, as well. I'm just not that into his singing voice, though I recognize that's just a matter of personal taste. He sings just fine.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Shag. But. Not. Too. Much.
Last edited by nirm123 on Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

del
Last edited by seangm on Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oh Gawd.....Yet another typical KVR "apples VS oranges: thread.......:roll:

Who's better? Paganini, (The Devil's Violin Player), playing Caprice no. 24 on violin or Yngwie shredding the same piece on electric guitar? Better? Best? That simply cannot be qulaified or quantified,

Music is in the ear of the listener.....and opinions are like @ssholes.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

CapnLockheed wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:15 pm Oh Gawd.....Yet another typical KVR "apples VS oranges" thread.......:roll:

Who's better? Paganini, (The Devil's Violin Player), playing Caprice no. 24 on violin or Yngwie shredding the same piece on electric guitar? Better? Best? That simply cannot be qulaified or quantified,

Music is in the ear of the listener.....and opinions are like @ssholes.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

CapnLockheed wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:15 pm Oh Gawd.....Yet another typical KVR "apples VS oranges: thread.......:roll:
Is this parody? It's literally a comparison of 2 similar versions of the same song, exactly the same genre. Yes of course it’s about opinions, it’s the opportunity to discuss two great live rock performances.

On topic: Stones, all the way.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

the residents :shrug:

Return to “Guitars”