Should I stay with Logic? (buying new computer)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's time for a new computer. I no longer see a compelling reason to stick with Apple, except for Logic Pro. The main feature I appreciate in Logic compared to other DAWs is the drummer functionality; it's truly killer. However, considering the hefty $3000 price tag for a good Mac, I'm inclined to explore other options. At this budget, I could invest in a powerful PC that would serve me for other things like games and graphic work (im also a designer).. What do you think? Buying a mac just for a spesific functionality within logic seems little over the top.. no?

For me, I've narrowed it down to macOS as a primary reason to stick with Apple. I just can't do Windows after all these years of amazing reliability, beautiful design, and best-in-class resource management for laptops.

Any $3000 Windows PC I can build, even though on paper it could have a "beefier" Intel or AMD CPU, or more storage, or what have you; when it comes to the actual functionality of it through the lens of Windows: the constant interrupting updates, the loudness of it all, the abysmal drivers and registry situation still, just the outdated and frankly fugly design of its UI - I wouldn't even want it gifted to me. And arguably the performance won't be there neither.

Macs can do great graphic work, but gaming is still just in its infancy (eg. Death Stranding just released a great version) - so yeah, not for gaming yet.

edit: and yes, Logic is amazing as well! :D
Last edited by cdbaksu on Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my OSC (One Synth Challenge) entries and more Logic Pro sequences on SoundCloud and YouTube.

You don't need to spend 3 grand for a great mac. My M1 mini 1tb/16gb cost 1605€ with Applecare.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Laptop or Desktop?

alonl6 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:00 pm What do you think?
Ultimately it is your choice. I already know what mine is, so I hope you are able to determine a solution soon.

cdbaksu wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:49 pm ...when it comes to the actual functionality of it through the lens of Windows: the constant interrupting updates, ...
Very thin ice for praying about Macs here ...

1. the "constant interrupting updates" you can reliably disable in a blink of an eye on Windows...
After doing so you just get notifications that there are updates available but you choose if or when to install them...
Nothing to claim about, isn´t it??

2. Idk how often we had the discussion here that Apple broke compatibility for existing software which does not work anymore until the developers make new updates of them ...

On Windows I can easily install old software versions from 2000 on the latest Windows updates without any problems...

So the topic updates goes clearly 1:0 to the Windows part... the rest of what you wrote is a matter of taste which is obviously individual...
I cannot tell that anything Mac design would drive me in this direction...

In a Mac vs Windows debate, never take advice from anybody who is not reliably using both systems on a regular basis in real world applications.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

I don't use PC for my DAW setup because I just don't like how ASIO works. It's really that simple for me. CoreAudio is easy to use, I can just plugin whatever class compliant audio device I have on hand and it just works at the lowest latency settings. I know Microsoft has done a lot of work on the Windows audio system but imo CoreAudio is still just seamless, system wide, and easy to use from a user perspective. Not to mention that TB interfaces were harder to get working in Windows (that may have changed now). I have an OG Clarett 8Pre that was a PITA to get working on my custom Windows machine.

Another gripe is how plugin installation works. VST/AU etc get installed in one place on macOS, there is no question where the plugin is. On my Windows machine I would have to manually point to the VST folder as some plugins (especially older ones) were installing things in different places. Very annoying.

I gave my custom PC to my nephew during the pandemic as I just didn't use it that and I'm mostly making music.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro // Ableton // Reason // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

I think macOS vs Windows 11 is a debate for OS passionate... not music passionate...
They are mostly the same, if a PC catch your attention just buy it. I had a splendid experience using windows for music with no latency and I moved to macOS because of apple silicon (I am on laptop) and I am now having a great experience using MacOS. As a result I couldn't care less about the OS I am using...
(that is if you are not on laptop, on laptop, to me, apple silicon is way better than AMD or intel stuffs but this is another debate).

A little perk I see on using macOS is for some Moog stuffs being only available on Mac... But that being said they are not very great and Windows also has its share of windows only stuffs.

As for the DAW, my totally biased opinion is to run to Bitwig and marry it for life... It is the best DAW of human history, past present and future (guaranteed until 2100 or reimbursed). For the drummer feature, I think you have a ton of midi players and drums plugins that could replace the feature (I am using the reason rack, you have a very good drum midi player and drum kits emulations in there).

I switched to macOS a couple years back, though I still use Windows a lot for work--after having disabled as much of the intrusive tracking crap that I can. I find it exceedingly clunky in comparison, albeit just as capable.

No way I'm going back to Windows, even though the Apple hardware is expensive. As to Logic, not so much, though I still keep it around for yes, drummer giving me some ideas, and being able to autosample my favorite sounds. There are only a couple of DAWs that aren't available on macOS, so unless you're a fan of one of those, stick with the Mac.

Jac459 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:58 pmA little perk I see on using macOS is for some Moog stuffs being only available on Mac... But that being said they are not very great
Are you referring to the Model 15 and Model D in the App Store? It's the first time I've heard someone say these things are bad…

Jac459 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:58 pm I think macOS vs Windows 11 is a debate for OS passionate... not music passionate...
Gets straight to the point ->
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Jac459 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:58 pm I think macOS vs Windows 11 is a debate for OS passionate... not music passionate...
I wouldn't say that. There are definitely reasons for the one or the other which will affect what you do with your machine on a daily base. ESPECIALLY when it comes to audio software.

Just a little example: The Waldorf Largo 2 GUI sucks ass big time. So, I'm happy I can still use version 1 on Windows. I wouldn't be able to do so with Mac OS, as version 1 isn't M1 native.

There are dozens of such examples, and a lot of older audio plugins which you won't be able to run on... that other platform.

Jump ship mate. Version 1 of Largo is definitely worth dropping Mac and Logic for.

Windows Media Player too!

And ASIO.

If you want.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

You're a funny fella.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”