Yamaha DX7 vs other Yamaha DX Keybeds ?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's not a secret that Yamaha dx7 has one of the best keybeds / keyfeel. What about other DX keyboards like DX7II, DX5, and other Yamaha DX keyboards ?
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

Reface DX has some praise for keybed, even if mini keys.

I own DX21, which has analog chorus inside :)

DNnX wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:06 pm I own DX21, which has analog chorus inside :)
What exactly does that have to do with the OP's actual question?
He wants to know specifically about the feel of the keybed NOT
the internal effects. Having owned both DX7's & DX21's, IMHO the
DX7 does have a slightly superior keybed, but not by much. They
both have non-weighted synth action keybeds. That being said, I feel
that both the DX7 & DX21 have better feeling keybeds than some of
the other DX models. The DX9 & DX11 feel more flimsy & "plasticky"
to me....but that's just me. YMMV.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

TS-12 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:41 am It's not a secret that Yamaha dx7 has one of the best keybeds / keyfeel. What about other DX keyboards like DX7II, DX5, and other Yamaha DX keyboards ?
MIDI velocity output from DX-7 (mark1) keyboard is limited to about value 100 and doesn't reach full 127 range.
So it is NOT a good MIDI controller at all!

Cochrane wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:23 pm MIDI velocity output from DX-7 (mark1) keyboard is limited to about value 100 and doesn't reach full 127 range.
This is true--as Cochrane notes, for the original DX7. So it wound up sounding less dynamic.

I always liked the feel of the DX7 keybed--I think it's fine. I haven't played one in a few years, though; however, I did play a DX9 a couple years ago for the first time--the only other DX-family member I recall playing--and it seemed just okay. Unfortunately, there were a couple of years between the last DX7 I touched and this DX9, so I can't give a perfect description of the comparison. The DX9 was just so-so, and noisier. My hunch is the DX7 was much superior.

Even so, there are less-expensive keyboards than the DX7 with better abilities you can try. *I* wouldn't use a DX7 as a master keyboard due to its limitations, even though I did really like its responsiveness back in the day.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

CapnLockheed wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:15 pm
DNnX wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:06 pm I own DX21, which has analog chorus inside :)
What exactly does that have to do with the OP's actual question?
He wants to know specifically about the feel of the keybed NOT
the internal effects. Having owned both DX7's & DX21's, IMHO the
DX7 does have a slightly superior keybed, but not by much. They
both have non-weighted synth action keybeds. That being said, I feel
that both the DX7 & DX21 have better feeling keybeds than some of
the other DX models. The DX9 & DX11 feel more flimsy & "plasticky"
to me....but that's just me. YMMV.
Oops, I should read English more carefully or use good translator!
I thought this is DX series comparison topic :dog:

Cochrane wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:23 pm
TS-12 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:41 am It's not a secret that Yamaha dx7 has one of the best keybeds / keyfeel. What about other DX keyboards like DX7II, DX5, and other Yamaha DX keyboards ?
MIDI velocity output from DX-7 (mark1) keyboard is limited to about value 100 and doesn't reach full 127 range.
well, it's better than the dx21 keyboard which isn't velocity sensitive at all.

TS-12 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:41 am... What about other DX keyboards like DX7II, ...
I had the pleasure playing a DX7IID (up to 127 velocity + channel aftertouch) for many years back then. Many, if not all, keyboards I played after didn't felt that good. Reason I don't use one nowadays is that I'm afraid to re-purchase an over 30 years old used keyboard. I think, even quality keybed, to find one in good condition is problematic. :(

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”