New PC for Music; Lets do it right! (Optimal & Organized)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, Any tips, or things to look out for when installing Daw's and software on a new PC would help. It's a brand new PC w/ 2 ssd's and I'm trying to do it right. (Optimal & Organized) I have 'Cubase Elements 9.5' & a trial of 'Pro 13' , plus 'Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 14' and some other apps/software/downloads on my current outdated PC. I really want to make this new one organized and optimal for music production. I'm going to buy 'Cubase Artist 13'; so on my new PC; I'm going to install that and not 'Elements 9.5' or the 'Pro 13' trial. Any order of things to install? or any very certain things to watch out for, not do? Thanks everyone

You have no full featured daw for new pc but have komplete ultimate 14.
What are the specs for this new PC?
What type of music do you want to create?
Regards.
maanga

My new PC comes 2mor. Before I install my DAW, I'm purchasing the fuller-updated version of Cubase (Artist 13, not Pro). I usually just make a handful of tracks w/ virtual instruments. Some may call them "beats", but I don't follow guides or genres all the time. Sometimes, I just like making music compositions in many styles.... I lay down guitar tracks sometimes, and will eventually start recording vocals, but that won't be for a while. I have a nice mic and preamp. I used to do vocals a lot but prob. won't for quite a bit. . . I love all types of music. My favorites 80's+ metal & rock (Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Megadeth...) but I don't record much of that style, though I should start. I usually lay down a catchy piano, then add bass, synth's drum's and track it out.... Maybe having a new, better setup won't be as limiting and I can really start to produce how I want... Again, I like all styles. I'm a music teacher (Piano, and Guitar)

sorry if this is posted twice, My new PC will have the i7-10700 w/ 64gb of ram. (TDP = 65w) I don't plan on having tons of tracks, and plugins... Do I need some special cooling? I just have whatever comes in my new 'Dell 3440 sff '(customized)... Is that anything I should worry about? How would I know if i do?

No special cooling, the machine should have adequate (read: might not be most silent) cooling.
Turn off extra devices like wifi bluetooth etc. off in BIOS. Install win11pro, install motherboard drivers first. Use GPO to turn off defender and automatic updates :) Thats everything I did on my new PC, it runs flawlessly realtime audio.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Sounds great, and helpful. Thanks

I was surprised when the new Dell PC came b/c the size. I knew it was an 'sff'("small form factor"), but damn. It's about 1/2 the size of my old PC the 'HP SFF' PC... At least it's not nearly as small as a "Mini PC"

Congratulations

I realized after I ran 'Windows Update' & restarted my PC ; it said everything was up to date and didn't show any more possible updates. I then realized the "advanced" tab and decided to see what was in there. There were three optional updates. I'm not at that PC now; so Idk what they all were, but one was a "firmware ###" .... Should I update these ones under 'Advanced'?

Where do you guys get your motherboard drivers from (intel)

From manufacturer (Asus in my case) ?

Or Intel ?

cheers

From the Asus site .

topaz wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:30 pm Where do you guys get your motherboard drivers from (intel)

From manufacturer (Asus in my case) ?

Or Intel ?

cheers
My PC was purchased from "PC Service & Parts". It came with the 'bios' and everything configured. I just had turn it on and fill-in the "windows 11 pro" setup.

Asus drivers maybe very old btw. At least for my motherboard they were. Got from AMD and nVidia straight.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

topaz wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:30 pm Where do you guys get your motherboard drivers from (intel) From manufacturer (Asus in my case) ? Or Intel ?
Always get my graphics drivers from Intel directly - everything else for a typical ASUS board comes from the ASUS support site for that board.

VP

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”