SWAY - a synth modeled after the Yamaha SY77

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm creating a synth that's meant to emulate the Yamaha SY77. The goal is to make it 100% SysEx compatible and sounding as close as possible to the real thing. I've pretty much got all the internals working, apart from the effects section.

I'm now in the process of measuring all parameters of a TG77 and making sure they are modeled correctly. I'm close to having done everything related to the AWM2 module. The AFM module is next. Finally I'll have to implement the effects section, but I'll probably release a beta version before that.

The synth can load the preset SY55/SY77 sample ROMs and Wavecard expansions if the files are present in the right directory, but I can't bundle them with the plugin for obvious reasons. I'm making a custom sample ROM instead so I can ship it with presets that use more than just the FM module.

For more information: https://sheafmusic.com/sway

Demos

Demo 1:
https://youtu.be/_N1THwIQpro?si=lP1tu5LMSZnbeJOs

Demo 2:
https://www.sheafmusic.com/_nuxt/SwayDe ... 31317.flac

Demo 3:
https://youtu.be/6b3vZtsdLy4?si=as98wOFp6EsEy5ET

Screenshots

https://sheafmusic.com/remoter - Stream from your DAW to your phone

The sy99 is mentioned regularly as something people really want a good emulation of. Your synth sounds good! I'm not as into this thing as some, but it seems like it could be very handy. Any chance you have added mpe support to your synth? Either way I'll keep an eye on your progress and check it out when it's released.
Best of luck .
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Awesome! There have been calls for an SY77 emulation for quite some time. How will you make it Sysex compatible without the factory samples and how would you gain permission to use the factory samples?

Issuing such a synth without the original sample content would be like releasing a MiniMoog with a Roland filter. Just not the same.

Anyway good luck, I'll be keeping an eye on this project. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Ah_Dziz wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:47 pm The sy99 is mentioned regularly as something people really want a good emulation of. Your synth sounds good! I'm not as into this thing as some, but it seems like it could be very handy. Any chance you have added mpe support to your synth? Either way I'll keep an eye on your progress and check it out when it's released.
Best of luck .
No MPE support at the moment, but I might add it in the future.
Teksonik wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:48 pm Awesome! There have been calls for an SY77 emulation for quite some time. How will you make it Sysex compatible without the factory samples and how would you gain permission to use the factory samples?

Issuing such a synth without the original sample content would be like releasing a MiniMoog with a Roland filter. Just not the same.

Anyway good luck, I'll be keeping an eye on this project. :tu:
Well, I'm thinking it's similar to Dexed vs the DX7. Dexed doesn't ship with the DX7 factory presets either, but SysEx files are all over the web. SY77 SysEx files are all over the web too, including the original presets.

As for the samples, I agree it's not ideal that I can't simply have the original sample ROMs included, but it's not like they're very hard to find on the web either.
https://sheafmusic.com/remoter - Stream from your DAW to your phone

Great stuff!!! :love:

All this sounds promising, bravo :clap: I will keep an eye on it.

sheaf wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:55 pm Well, I'm thinking it's similar to Dexed vs the DX7. Dexed doesn't ship with the DX7 factory presets either, but SysEx files are all over the web. SY77 SysEx files are all over the web too, including the original presets.
Presets and samples are different things. With Dexed you can make any sound the DX7 could (or almost, to keep the pedants at bay).

Without the proper sample content synths like the SY77 simply won't sound the same.
sheaf wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:55 pmAs for the samples, I agree it's not ideal that I can't simply have the original sample ROMs included, but it's not like they're very hard to find on the web either.
Just because they're easy to find that doesn't make them legal for us to use. That was my point since I don't want Yamaha's Lawyers to show up on your (or my) doorstep at some point so take care. It's also been KVR's policy to discourage talk of piracy.

All of the sample based hardware synths from that time period I owned had some unique sample content. It wasn't just Piano, Violins, etc. There was always something like "Alien Fog Whistle" or something similar. Samples that were unique to that unit.

Without those samples you could never hope to emulate those units and could only tribute them (not that way Vurt).

So "inspired by" rather than "modelled" might be more accurate and certainly more accurate than "emulation".

But having said that I may be a buyer of this synth depending on time spent with a demo. Sound, CPU performance, price point, etc.

So again good luck but be careful along the way not to anger the Lawyers (or the Mods). :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I like the sounds, will definitely check it out.

Teksonik wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:52 pm
sheaf wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:55 pm Well, I'm thinking it's similar to Dexed vs the DX7. Dexed doesn't ship with the DX7 factory presets either, but SysEx files are all over the web. SY77 SysEx files are all over the web too, including the original presets.
Presets and samples are different things. With Dexed you can make any sound the DX7 could (or almost, to keep the pedants at bay).

Without the proper sample content synths like the SY77 simply won't sound the same.
sheaf wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:55 pmAs for the samples, I agree it's not ideal that I can't simply have the original sample ROMs included, but it's not like they're very hard to find on the web either.
Without those samples you could never hope to emulate those units and could only tribute them (not that way Vurt).
Yeah maybe someone could make some similar sounding audio files to use with it, but not copies (of course) of the original audio files. I'm not sure how many were included in the original synth though. Might be quite an undertaking.

Pure beauty wih an appealing UI

Down to test this beauty if you need beta testers. :D

Very noice. :clap:

very excited about this

So great that someone is finally tackling this. Bravo! Instant buy for me. Let me know if you need testers. I have a sy77 at home to compare to (with waveblade and sy.factory).

Ohh..please yes best news since months in vst world
If you need any beta testers I'll be happy to help
I am so attached to my TG77 that I even consider buying a second one just for spare parts .

Edit/have you visited the sector 101 site?
The guy makes the legendary data-wavecards for yamaha tg-sy and roland ,and apparantly also has a link to the rom downloads of various tg cards , might come in usefull :tu:
https://sector101.co.uk/waveblade.html
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Instruments”