FR: Personalize Splash screen text?

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The background is quite snazzy, I like it. But I dont necessary want my email Christian name inserted onto it. Would it be okay to customize that, to put a cool rap name, or just leave it blank.

No, you may not and cannot change your personal user key. Changing it will render it invalid.
Displaying the registered name on the splash screen is part of the copy protection scheme.

Fair enough. I didn't actually want to change the key, only the display. But its only a minor aesthetic issue. Protection is obviously more important then that.

The thing about the name display does have a potential to create (mostly) minor security issues for the user. Other companies have relented to this and adjusted the name display accordingly in the past as I recall. That said, it can always be edited out of videos and such. Tho that cannot cover every possible scenario. :shrug:

Though the key contains the users info, why does the splash screen need to display this? Surely if it's a possible security issue, then can't the this info either be omitted or have a separate option that displays a user selected message or info? Do we need to see who the software is licensed to on every start up? It doesn't affect or bother me but this info could be displayed in MuLab's About window instead. Personally, I'm happy how it is.

I would also be happy if personal information is not displayed.
Although the splash screen looks very cool, I am disappointed that it cannot be streamed in live streaming because personal information is being displayed.

MuLab can be streamed without a splash screen, just open and minimise it, and it's faster too.
-
(also, copy protection makes software innovation possible and mutools has a gentle method )
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

TBH, I cant imagine how fully displaying the users name would be crucial to any copy protection method. Maybe I'm missing something. While infact it doesn't matter to me at all, I fail to see how this would be an issue towards continued development. :shrug:
Last edited by pekbro on Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

pekbro wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:14 am I fail to see how this would be an issue towards continued development. :shrug:
I will share an example that I know well.

A few years ago a colleague in France stopped developing his famous audio suite because it had inadequate copy protection and was cracked. As a result, he lost his financial and emotional incentive to invest further time, and so stopped development.

Years later he got excellent technical, management and financial support for an improved copy protection method and strategic plan, so he resumed development and improvements.

I don't understand his copy protection method, and it is slightly inconvenient, but I support his choice because it benefits me and all other users of his excellent product in the long term.

Other developers expressed similar feelings about piracy and copy protection in kvr, and many plugins display registered user names in their GUI, so it clearly has a purpose.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

I just don't see why it has to display a name. You would think it just needs to be a unique identifier, something you might generate from someone's name for instance. What would be the need for it to be human readable? Other than to make it easy for a developer to identify it visually. It seems to me there would be a plethora of ways you could go about achieving the same thing without displaying someone's name explicitly.

*In any event, forcing the display of someone's real name when they don't want to, seems
somewhat less than reasonable imo. At least without knowledge of the rationale behind it.
Privacy should not be something that is dismissed lightly imo. :shrug:

pekbro wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:59 amI just don't see why it has to display a name.
I don't either and am not interested in studying copy protection to "see why" and "learn the rationale" because I respect a developer's expert choice of that method (and many do use it) if that's what they need to protect their livelihood and future development for we users.

* Exaggerating that 'displaying' your name for a few seconds when opening your personal software is 'less than reasonable' and 'forcing' a 'dismissal' of 'privacy' is silly nonsense.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:25 am
pekbro wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:59 amI just don't see why it has to display a name.
I don't either and am not interested in studying copy protection to "see why" and "learn the rationale" because I respect a developer's expert choice of that method (and many do use it) if that's what they need to protect their livelihood and future development for we users.

* Exaggerating that 'displaying' your name for a few seconds when opening your personal software is 'less than reasonable' and 'forcing' a 'dismissal' of 'privacy' is silly nonsense.
Well I'm sure you're right about that, tho I never actually said that, (hence the period, and
capitol P). But whatever, I don't see why someone couldn't be accommodated to change or hide
their name if they wanted. There are likely many good reasons to want that no doubt,
spammers for one, your real name can go a long way towards more convincing fake emails.
A simple cover-up or custom user key, that mutools could even charge a fee for would be
reasonable.

pekbro wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:48 amI don't see why someone couldn't be accommodated to change or hide their name if they wanted.
I don't see why either so I am just as ignorant as you, but:
1. I don't know enough about copy protection to make an informed suggestion
2. I don't want to spend the time to become informed on copy protection
3. I trust Jo's expert judgement on his choice of copy protection
4. There are many FRs that are actually musically useful
5. I would rather Jo spend his time on one of those
-- and your 3-second Privacy rationale is silly
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

fanboys, geeze...

Which privacy issue do you see? As long as the user key is used by the owner of the user key there is no issue. That's the part of the copy protection.

Return to “MUTOOLS”