Is Komplete 14 Standard worth it vs Select?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all, new here :)

I ordered a used NI Maschine Mikro MK3 and while I'm waiting for it I bought Komplete Select as I got it quite cheap. Is it worth updating to a Standard now that it's discounted, or should I wait and go for the Ultimate when it's discounted again?

New to NI stuff and I think I'll more or less use it within Ableton, but thought I'd ask before I make another impulsive buy :D

Thanks

Forgot to ask... is Maschine software needed to run the NI Maschine Mikro MK3? I'm guessing I won't have it in my account since I'm buying second hand, so should I buy it separately too or would it be added to my account when I register the hardware piece?

I bought Komplete Standard a while back and tbh, hardly use any of it. Which is not to say that at least bits of it feature in nearly every track I do, just that there is an absolute abundance of stuff to sort through. Just the Reaktor Factory library alone has maybe 25 different synths. The package is filled with bloat but if you get a good price and only use like 10%, it can be worth it. For me, I will personally never upgrade to Ultimate or beyond, although I've added a few Kontakt libraries such as Ashlight and Stradivari Cello, and also purchased Razor a while ago.

If you get Standard or Ultimate, I would suggest installing it in bite sized chunks, it's incredibly easy to atomise your attention in a significantly non productive way with these massive software packages!

Re: the Maschine Mikro- I've had no trouble using it outside of the Maschine software as a midi controller, but I had the Maschine software installed with the A49 keyboard I use. I don't love it as a controller though, much prefer to have a keyboard.

Interesting. How come you don't like it as a controller? From the videos it looks quite intuitive to use, but then again those are mostly using the Maschine software, not directly in Ableton...

The included Massive X is very useful.
If you do DSP programming then Reaktor 6 and Blocks Primes are useful indeed. And there are many free resources for Reaktor on the 'net.
Una Corda, Kinetic Metal, Polyplex, Ethereal Earth are among the ones I used the most.
Then there are other included plugins that can be useful depending on needs anyway.

I waited for a sale on standard as an upgrade from select so a good deal for me. Still exploring what's in it but having the full versions of Reaktor and Kontakt are good to have also the standalone synths like Massive and MassiveX. Battery was an unexpected nice surprise too. So wait for the sales.

curiousigor wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:43 am Interesting. How come you don't like it as a controller? From the videos it looks quite intuitive to use, but then again those are mostly using the Maschine software, not directly in Ableton...
I just prefer a piano style keyboard.

With NI it’s good to be realistic about what you will actually use, get it on sale and then…don’t get on the Komplete upgrade treadmill unless it gives you more… stuff you actually use.

I stay up to date with Reaktor versions, and Guitar Rig 7 has basically all of their individual effects - Raum, Replika, Supercharger, all the cool ‘stopmpbox’ distortions/modulation FX, the Softube SSL and Lexicon reverb emus. If you’re not a hard-core sample tweaked an older full Kontakt version and a new Kontakt player (free) should meet your needs.

I went from Select, to Standard to Ultimate over years, only update each couple of years on sale. The NI Plugins are technically good , not great Vizulations but on the level as other plugin vendors.

Using the Kontakt, GuitarRig Players, ist not causing issues when keeping older version installed. My Ultimate ist 4 years old, an I installed rhe players. It may cause issues with 3rd Party Kontakt or Reactor essembles. Some DAWs have also options to not automatically select the latest version.

Winstontaneous wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:41 am If you’re not a hard-core sample tweaked an older full Kontakt version and a new Kontakt player (free) should meet your needs.
Dunno. Massive X, or Super 8 are great synths.

If you can get it for half price in a sale (which will be 199 €), then the upgrade from K Select is worth it for the plugins alone. The FX are great too (many of my go-to's: Dirt, Replika XT, Raum, Choral...).

Is Komplete 14 Standard worth it vs Select?
Good question.
i currently try to decide whether update my k12 standard to k14 standard for 64eur or not.
Theres bunch of stuff inside i will not use, but the kontakt stuff and guitar rig plus the "3rd party" stuff (for example izotope) could be ok for me.
but still havent decided, i've already have enough musicsoftware.

I have Select and Kontakt 6 and was planning to only upgrade to Kontakt 7 for $49 this week... but then NI came out with its $50 coupon for software over $100. So the upgrade to K14 Standard ended up costing $149, and it includes Kontakt 7.

Even though I wasn't planning to upgrade to K14 Standard, spending that extra $100 for dozens of synths, sampled instruments, effects, expansions and drum samplers was not a difficult decision for me to make.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”