No feeddback on leds Launchpad X (custom settings, Midi cc )

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

last few years I used Ableton and Studio one side by side on one machine (2 x raydat). Recording a band in studio one while using Ableton for live VST sytnth/Beats performance (also recorded via loopback in Studio one).
I’m now trying to build this setup in Bitwig (live band + plus live clip jam record). And I,m almost there.
I have a Launchpad X. The problem is that I can’t get it to receive midi information (two way communication) on the custom setups (midi cc knobs) When I make the same automation settings with my BCR2000 the two way connections works just fine so the data/connections are available.
It’s was the first things that I’ve tested because its critical for me. I believe it did work when I first did the test. But now I am not sure anymore, maybe I just assumed it was two way communication.
So, I have a few questions;
- Does Bitwig sends data to the launchpad X so the led/midi cc switch will be in sync
- Does the original bitwig script supports two way communications
- Any tips and tricks?

Greetings

Hey qsonic... the features usually comes down to the bitwig extension you are using...

i'm assuming you are talking about the custom mapping within the launchpad X where you configure it in a web panel. I do not think think those are bi-directionally synced. In those modes controller manages its light state independently of the daw.

Edit: feel free to correct me on any of these statements. Also in your particular case are you using any other modes in addition to that custom mapping?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
http://instagram.com/kirkwoodwest/
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest

I found this article on the novation site:

https://support.novationmusic.com/hc/en ... chpad-LED-
feedback

I tried it out with my LPP Mk3, sending Midi notes and CC from Logic (or Bitwig or Ableton) to the LPP. It behaves as the article says:

Custom Mode 1-6: LEDs are controlled internally by the LPP, no LED Feedback
(That's why they are lit and change color when you press them, even with no DAW connected)

Custom Mode 7-8: LEDs are controlled only by received Midi data
(that's why they stay dark, even if you press them, until you create some kind of MIDI feedback loop)

As soon as you edit/overwrite custom mode 7 or 8, you'll lose LED feedback.

So according to the article, on your LPX it would only work if you use custom mode 3 or 4 and not alter the presets.

That behavior is independent of the DAW or controller script.

======

Another reason why it would NOT work with Bitwig is how Bitwig handles MIDI feedback in manual mapping mode (or better: how it doesn't..)

Let's say you stick to your LPX in custom mode 3 or 4 which does support LED feedback. In Ableton, when you manually map a pad to a clip or track mute button, the LED feedback works right away, because Ableton sends they same MIDI data back to the source (simply speaking). When you do the same in Bitwig, it does not send MIDI data back, so the LEDs stay dark.

That's kind of a missing feature of Bitwig in general, but has nothing to do with the Launchpad extension which works totally fine.

Hope this helps.

LPX recieves Led feeback on every custom mode 1 to 8 and the different types of control with in custom mode. It does so in Cubase, Studio one and Ableton. Its just standaard click, click, and go. This is missing in the Bitwig script, it is what it is at the moment

Return to “Controller Scripting”