Buying advice needed

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all, I'm looking for a cheaper brand, under 1k, but with specific features that I find don't come together often so I'm wondering if you can help.

I'm looking for a guitar with fretboard radius as flat as possible. I used to own an old Ibanez Sabre, 540S I think, and it had a wonderful neck. Thinner is also better, but it doesn't have to be Wizard thin. 43mm nut (1.69" I think) or larger is also a must, 24 frets too. 25 and 1/2 " scale is preferred. Body should also be routed to accommodate tremolo bridge, floyd or regular strat tremolo, doesn't matter. Finally, it must have a pickguard on top because I want to experiment with pickups and routing and I find pickguard mounted stuff the easiest to change. Also, I like having the middle pickup and some great guitars come in HH configuration so I'd have to rout the body, which I don't find too appealing.

So far, RG 550 comes close to what I'm looking for, but I'm wondering if there are any other options.

I'm a fan of the RG series and consider them my main guitars. I'm not too invested in knowing how flat or thin a neck is, I go by if it feels right so don't take my input too seriously, I've found Jackson to have very desireable necks though, so you might want to have a look at guitars in the Soloist and Dinky series. For less than $1000 I'm not sure about the pickups though, the higher price range Jacksons have Seymour Duncan pickups and sound great, some of the Jacksons in your price range have Duncan designed pickups, whatever that means, I have no experience with those. I'm not too fond of the stock Jackson pickups though

YnJ wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:40 pm I'm a fan of the RG series and consider them my main guitars. I'm not too invested in knowing how flat or thin a neck is, I go by if it feels right so don't take my input too seriously, I've found Jackson to have very desireable necks though, so you might want to have a look at guitars in the Soloist and Dinky series. For less than $1000 I'm not sure about the pickups though, the higher price range Jacksons have Seymour Duncan pickups and sound great, some of the Jacksons in your price range have Duncan designed pickups, whatever that means, I have no experience with those. I'm not too fond of the stock Jackson pickups though
Thank you for the feedback. Yeah, Dinky could work. I guess I'd have to try it out, but the neck specs look alright. I only mentioned the Ibanez because it was by far the best neck I ever played. If I had to name one fault, well, sliding too fast and hitting the locking nut can hurt if not too careful, but fantastic in every other way. I'm not too worried about pickups because I only play at home so I'm in no rush to change them.

Yeah, my vote is just sticking to used RG550s. You are lucky to like them. Great guitars at great prices. And easy resell if you end up not wanting a particular one anymore.

A used Parker P38 has that described neck, 3 PUs w/ an excellent whammy bar. They are available(Ebay or Guitar Center Used)and great instruments
Best of luck
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Hagstrom F200P. Fretboard is flat. I've tried it, and sent it back. Not a bad guitar, though.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Parkers look great and Reeves Gabrels and Adrian Belew having played them is the best recommendation possible. Unfortunately, they seem to be hard to find in Europe and above my price range. But I will keep an eye out for one should it pop up on reverb or somewhere.

Hagstroms, I'll check them out.

I kind of agree with the guy who wrote his vote was for sticking to the RG, you can't really go wrong with Ibanez. I did suggest having a look at Jackson, as I really like their necks. Funny thing though, of the two Jacksons I've got, an SL7Q Pro with a 25.5" speed neck and a $400 7-string JS22 Dinky with a 26.5" slim C neck, the neck I'm most impressed with is on the $400 guitar

Parker P-series were Korean made & half the price of his us made gtrs. I see them used here for $ 6-800. Possibly exportable. My little P42 makes me smile every time I turn up the gain.
Best of luck
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

I'm not an Ibanez guy overall (I have one 7-string) but if you're looking for a wide flat neck stick with them.

If you're looking for an alternative brand, the new Sire guitars that I've played in the store are pretty dang good.

Return to “Guitars”