finetuning in smpl and inst chunk

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I'm currently working on a tool that creates sample data to be imported into typical software samplers. To store some more specific sample and instrument data, I'm working with the smpl and inst chunks. Is anyone aware whether the usual software samplers make use of this finetuning information? I have started a few tests with Halion, Falcon, Bitwig sampler and both the inst and smpl chunk and so far all things I have tried are ignored. However, I'm unsure whether it's something in my code. I'm not aware of any trustworthy tool that can read and display this metadata. I'd be happy if someone with a bit more experience could share his insights on those finetuning fields in the inst and smpl chunks and whether they are worth pursuing. Thanks a lot!

At first, I thought you were talking about the SF2 format, which also has "inst" and "smpl" chunks. (In that case, I would've had a tool for you.) On further reflection, you appear to be talking about the WAV format. (My own "sfzq" sample player, and the older SFZero, are among the samplers that ignore that fine-tuning information in WAV files.)

True, sorry. I was talking about wav files. A small detail I forgot to write ;-) So I presume the overall trend is to ignore the finetuning information. This seems to confirm what I found out with my tests.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”