SoundFont import errors

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not 100% sure of what is the underlying cause (is it mapping velocity to the correct settings and/or the mapping of the filter settings) but, for both the current and beta versions, there are a number of issues with the import of SoundFont files.

I am testing it with the free NTONYX 32GB Stereo GM Soundfont (from this old NTONYX SF2 page) looking at the settings using the Viena SF2 editor from http://www.synthfont.com and comparing the output with that from VstSynthFont, which is a good simple SF2 (and SFZ) player, but which is Windows 32-bit and 64-bit VST2 only.

The specific issues that I have found with specific patches are as follows...

1. Preset 001 Grand Piano: the velocity split seems to be inverted - larger velocity in TX16Wx moves the sound to the "soft" sound that is actually used for low velocity (soft) playing if you listen in VstSynthFont and look at Viena. I believe "softness" in this preset is through the filter settings.

2. Preset 048 Strings: the filter cutoff frequency does not seem to reflect the values shown in Viena which, although it displays the values in a preset as a multiplier (I assume of the global filter frequency) then the settings for e.g. velocity 0 to 60 should be (if I'm understanding SF2 correctly) 0.5x the 20,000Hz i.e. 10kHz and not the 19.9kHz that is being shown on the lowpass filter in TX16Wx.

3. Chorus and Reverb, which are often quite important aspects of many SF2 presets, are not instantiating the Chorus or Reverb FX even with the Pro licence (in trial mode at present). It would be nice if this was added for Pro users so that the settings in the SF2 files would instantiate the two effects with their settings from the SF2 file.

I'm not sure if there are other issues in terms of the import and mapping of the SF2 file information to the settings in TX16Wx (such as envelope, modulation, etc.) as I haven't done any more testing around them as - the above issues are so significant I thought it was worth picking them up first.

Hope this makes sense and that you can look at addressing these, as there are really very few if any SF2 players out there that are for Windows and macOS, have full support for VST3 (and CLAP), are being actively maintained and that (do/could) include the Reverb and Chorus.

3.6.0 6796.925 up. Fixes the filter velocity issue (both cases).
As for chorus and reverb, this does not fit into the TX sound object model. There is no way to do this FX assignment in a way that would make sense in TX. And FX should really always be applied in mixing/routing.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

OK and understand re chorus and reverb. Will take a look at 3.6.0 6796.925 when it is available for download.

Return to “CWITEC”