Why Devs are blocking iPadOS apps for macOS

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The topic says it all:
Why Devs are blocking iPadOS apps for macOS ?!

Aliens are using iOS apps to transmit microwaves that cause autism but devs who are unvaccinated block apps so people will not be fooled by climate change and can welcome Jesus who will rule through armed White people.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Atlatnesiti wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:04 pm Why Devs are blocking iPadOS apps for macOS ?!
Do they really? Which devs? Which apps? Do you have proof, or is it just figmentation in your head?

Fake unless you provide sources.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

what do you mean blocking apps?
you mean not releasing them?
they're busy!

I am happy to see I am not the only one clueless about what you meant to ask.

If your point is to say that ipad and macbooks runs on different operating systems, then yes, it is the case...

So the short answer to your question (as i understand it) is: they don't, it is just additional work to make them run on mac and they chose not to spend the time.
Ipad had a touchscreen by the way... macbook doesn't. So the UI/UX can't be the same.

Jac459 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:48 am I am happy to see I am not the only one clueless about what you meant to ask.

If your point is to say that ipad and macbooks runs on different operating systems, then yes, it is the case...

So the short answer to your question (as i understand it) is: they don't, it is just additional work to make them run on mac and they chose not to spend the time.
Ipad had a touchscreen by the way... macbook doesn't. So the UI/UX can't be the same.
You’re not wrong, but before everyone gives this user a hard time for no reason…

https://support.apple.com/guide/app-sto ... 7092da/mac
When using one of these apps on your Mac, you can use touch alternatives to interact with the app—for example, press and hold the Option key to use a trackpad as a virtual touch screen. To turn on alternatives for an app, choose [App] > Settings. You can see alternatives available for the app by clicking the tabs.
More info here: https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/ios-on-mac ... pps-on-mac
If your computer has Apple's M1 or M2 chip, you can use your favorite iPhone (and iPad) apps natively on your Mac, too. Just look for the Designed for iPhone or Designed for iPad designation in the Mac App Store…
Note that you may find that not all your iPhone and iPad apps are available for download.Developers have the option to opt out from allowing their apps to work on a Mac. For example, Instagram cannot be used on a laptop or desktop (you can view your account from the web, though). Other apps may be available for download but may not have been fully tested by the developer, so they may not work correctly.

Many thanks elxsound. I do have a M2 mac but no iPhone (thank god, colleagues have issue all the time with things magically / unwanted happen on the phone instead of laptop) so wasn't aware of the issue.

Perhaps because their MacOs version has a different price (and more functions) than the mobile version?

Really, you should ask the dev that's doing this.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Might be better to list the ones that are supporting their au3 plugins on MacOs. Apart from Moog there are not that many yet but Icegear plugins certainly do and the 2 I have (Lagrange and Laplace) run well in Logic and Live, although they could do with larger interfaces on MacOs

https://icegear.net

Any by FAC also run well and so does Audulus

Tried Beepstreet Zeeon and Drambo on the other hand but they were too tiny for use and seemed buggy, same with Virsyn plugins such as Tera pro which do not look good or run well and for some reason they want me to buy Cube Pro a second time on MacOs.

elxsound wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:58 am
Jac459 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:48 am I am happy to see I am not the only one clueless about what you meant to ask.

You’re not wrong, but before everyone gives this user a hard time for no reason…

https://support.apple.com/guide/app-sto ... 7092da/mac
When using one of these apps on your Mac, you can use touch alternatives to interact with the app—for example, press and hold the Option key to use a trackpad as a virtual touch screen. To turn on alternatives for an app, choose [App] > Settings. You can see alternatives available for the app by clicking the tabs.
More info here: https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/ios-on-mac ... pps-on-mac
If your computer has Apple's M1 or M2 chip, you can use your favorite iPhone (and iPad) apps natively on your Mac, too. Just look for the Designed for iPhone or Designed for iPad designation in the Mac App Store…
Note that you may find that not all your iPhone and iPad apps are available for download.Developers have the option to opt out from allowing their apps to work on a Mac. For example, Instagram cannot be used on a laptop or desktop (you can view your account from the web, though). Other apps may be available for download but may not have been fully tested by the developer, so they may not work correctly.
Interresting links.
Another point is that the more platform you have to test the more expansive it is... Testing is a large large part of the development cycle... So the more variations you get the longer it is...

Developers sometimes choose to separate the iPadOS/iOS releases from MacOS plugin releases because:
1. Support time needs to test and beta apps on Macs.
2. Cost structure - iPadOS/iOS pricing is much lower than desktop plugin pricing. A separate release for desktop platforms may make better sense. See Fabfilter, IK, Toneboosters, etc.

It’s one of things that Apple leaves out when announcing capabilities like these.

It can run, but if it doesn’t run correctly, users ask for support and as mentioned about pricing… that price is set for mobile device development and support. Adding desktop in the equation would mean additional costs in supporting it.

I can easily see why they would opt out. Aside from pricing they also wouldn’t want a bad reputation for crap performance on Mac, when they designed something to run great on iOS.

GusGranite wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:38 pm 2. Cost structure - iPadOS/iOS pricing is much lower than desktop plugin pricing.
I have many desktop plugins. As you wrote, they cost much more.

Will they run on iPads with M1 or M2?
Studio One 6, Waveform Pro 11, Acid Pro 10, NI, Pigments 4

commerce wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:05 pm
GusGranite wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:38 pm 2. Cost structure - iPadOS/iOS pricing is much lower than desktop plugin pricing.

Unlikely.

One model of releasing is for a desktop plugin developer to release their app on iPadOS and let you have it for free if you already own the VST. So a single license for both. But I am only aware of Pianoteq doing this. I think IK did it for one of their releases as well but it isn’t standard.

Otherwise, there is a small but growing number of iPadOS apps that are being supported to run on silicon Macs. It’s all kind of new so I think developers are still working out their strategy and seeing where Apple goes with the operating systems.

I think the expected price of App Store vs desktop will be the biggest reason. Developers probably couldn’t support themselves selling desktop plugins for $3 or whatever.

commerce wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:05 pm

No... it is relatively easy to have an app designed for iOS to run on Mac now, but not the other way around.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”