Note coloring from root: 2nd and 4th are not correctly colored

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

2023-06-12 23_15_32-Window.png
Hi,

I have a question concerning the brilliant relative chord note coloring feature.

I tried to enter the beginning of the song "You got a friend" by Carole King into Rapidcomposer by entering the three intro measure chords. Then I created my own phrase from the original sheets (see attached image).

Then I activated "color chord notes by distance from root" and chose the "color notes by note kind and velocity" option for the track comprising the intro phrase.

For the root, 3rd and 5th of the phrase, the coloring is correct. But for parts of the rendered phrase comprising the 2nd and 4th, the colors are wrong.

I marked some notes in my screenshot:

- in beat 3.5 of the first measure, the note "II->Bb3" of the Ab chord is displayed in blue. However, according to the settings, the 2nd should be displayed in yellow.

- in beat 4 of the first measure, the note "III->C4" is displayed in Chord "Db/Ab" is displayed in blue, which is actually a major 7th of this chord. The label should say "maj7" and the coloring according to the settings should be orange

- in beat 1 of the third measure, a note "IV->Db" is displayed in blue in chord "Ab". However, this note should be colored in yellow according to the settings

Am I getting something wrong?
Another question: why are some notes labelled with roman numbers while others are labelled with arabic numbers?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

Jens
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi Jens,

First I reply to this:
why are some notes labelled with roman numbers while others are labelled with arabic numbers?
Roman numbers denote scale degrees, arabic numbers are chord notes. (In addition roman numerals are used to express an offset in scale steps, arabic numbers are used to express semitone offset.) It is not a good idea to mix these. If you design a chord-relative phrase, always use chord-relative notes only. No worries, you can use any scale (or chromatic) note as chord-relative, but in this case a scale step (or chromatic step) offset is applied. The fix is easy: select all scale notes (with roman numbers) and select "Chord Note Relative" from the Note Mapping menu.

The 'scale' and 'chord' at the top in the Phrase Editor lets you test drive the phrase you created with different scales and chords. Feel free to change them and listen to your phrase with a new chord.

Now the coloring issue: if the chord has no '2nd' note, it will not become yellow. The note colors are looked up if a note is a chord note. E.g. if you enable other chord notes, you'll see the colored notes:

I'll attempt to implement coloring a note even if the chord does not include that note. Let's see how it works.

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
Summer Sale - 40% off RapidComposer - June 3 to 18

Please try the new beta version. If you enable "Yes, all notes" for the setting "Color chord notes by distance from root", it will color the notes as you expected.

Thanks,
Attila

Thanks for the incredible service! I will try this.

And sorry for my ignorance about the roman and arabic numbering. This is actually explained very clearly in the manual, so this was a RTFM problem :-)

No problem... I admit the notation and numbering is a bit complicated but I could not come up with something simpler. :(

Return to “MusicDevelopments”