Connecting both MIDI device & headphones to iPad Pro 2021

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all...

Recently upgraded my iPad (or rather my employer did!) & no headphone port, just a single USB-C. It's not my main music rig, just something I use when travelling.

Anyone got any suggestions how I can connect both a MIDI keyboard & wired headphones?

The obvious answer is the IK iRig Keys Mini that has a sort of built-in audio interface (i.e. you can plug headphones directly into it) - I do own this but would like to use my better-featured M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini.

I only bought the iRig since my previous iPad wouldn't power the M-Audio without an external power source plugged into camera connector but the new model powers it fine.

Any advice appreciated!

Look for USB-Hub with a headphone-jack or USB-Dock - they should do the job.

something like this https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Tendak-E ... 145&sr=8-8

(<- I have no tried this one)

If you gear draws too much power you might consider the original Apple USB-C Multi-AV adaper, to charge the iPad and the hub.

When the keyboard has a MIDI out connector, I use the IK Multimedia iRig Pro Duo I/O. This is more expensive than a multi-function Hub. But with inexpensive hubs/audio connectors, I typically have had buzz and noise (perhaps it's just the units I received or my electrical connections?). The iRig Pro Duo I/O audio quality is great, and you get MIDI in/out and a Headphone jack/volume knob, along with audio in/out. If your Keyboard has a USB connector for MIDI, you can take the USB Hub route which works fine. When I do this, I connect the USB Hub to a small Mackie ProFX mixer. This has audio and headphone connections. Again, in my situation, the audio quality is better than a multi-function USB-C hub. If you try a multi-function USB-C hub and the quality is good, you're set. If not, I've shared a couple of other approaches to try.

Thanks for the replies, definitely some good options there.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”