Ableton preview midi files with synth sound?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey,

Is it possible to preview midi files in the browser with synth sound rather than clicks without dragging it to session view?

Cheers

Select the clip and click on "click to preview" beside the blue headphone ....or click a second time on the clip without double clicking it...

[/quote]
Jolaff wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:43 am Select the clip and click on "click to preview" beside the blue headphone ....or click a second time on the clip without double clicking it...
We only that just play as piano? I want it to play with sound from spire

You can't ...unless you previously saved the MIDI File as a clip (.alc) by dragging the midi clip from the arranger/session to the browser... that way you can save the MIDI and the instrument...

This is what I dislike about Live and Bitwig :mad: I have been suggesting those for centuries now, but no one is listening. It is particularly useful for drums patterns.

The solution is either keep draging and dropping what you need to hear into the clips, or run another host that support it beside Live ( like Cubase, S1 or Reaper)!

But if I remember right, wasn´t there a way to replace the sample for midi preview??

Just found this on the Ableton forum:
Just search file named ”MidiPreHear.aif” and replace that file with any .aif file containing wanted preview sound sample.

I am honestly a bit shocked you can't preview with a 3rd party synth.
Very weird thinking here.
BROKEN TECHNO for OMNISPHERE
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Outside of Omnisphere, which offers internal previewing, no virtual instrument offers this. As useful as it would be, imagine the workload for a DAW: it would have to pre-load every VSTi, so you'd be able to preview its sounds.

We will get there eventually, because, yes, this would be insanely useful. But today's computers simply do not have the CPUs to do that while maintaining a stable DAW performance. Maybe GPU audio will change that if it is widely adopted across all plugin manufacturers.

Reaper just uses the instrument on the currently selected track to preview midi files, works perfectly and would be great if Ableton had this.

jules99 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:26 am Outside of Omnisphere, which offers internal previewing, no virtual instrument offers this. As useful as it would be, imagine the workload for a DAW: it would have to pre-load every VSTi, so you'd be able to preview its sounds.

We will get there eventually, because, yes, this would be insanely useful. But today's computers simply do not have the CPUs to do that while maintaining a stable DAW performance. Maybe GPU audio will change that if it is widely adopted across all plugin manufacturers.
What are you talking about? It's the same like you play a midi keyboard but stored in a midi file. It has been implemented in Cubase and S1 browser ages ago! Unless you are talking about something entirely different.

It doesn't need any cpu! You only choose the instrument then click play. Cubase let's you switch between the original midi tempo and the host which is very useful when hearing a pattern that recorded in a specific tempo different from the tempo you are working with.

Anyway, I have left both Live and Bitwig, so it's not a problem for me anymore! Or this is what I thought! Logic Pro didn't support that the last time I checked :dog: I hope Apple will do it one day, otherwise I will use Finder playing the files in GM mode.

bilasta wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:40 am Reaper just uses the instrument on the currently selected track to preview midi files, works perfectly and would be great if Ableton had this.
Yeah. This. Arm a track with a plugin, preview MIDIs and it plays with the selected sound. Shouldn't be rocket-science to implement such a function.
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Just drag the midi clip into the session view with a synth of your choice?

Is this really a big thing? Hmm....

Rastkovic wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:31 am Just drag the midi clip into the session view with a synth of your choice?

Is this really a big thing? Hmm....
It is! If you have tons of midi files and you need to go through them quickly! See here how it is easy in S1 (and Cubase of course):
Midi Preview in S1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yeah exactly. If you only have a handful of MIDI files, it's not a problem - but if you have a couple of thousands, dragging and manually activating becomes truly a pain.

The practical solutions for someone using Ableton/Bitwig (and Logic!) is to preview the files in the explorer in Windows as it is using GM instruments, so you can get the feel of it at least. In Mac unfortunately, I had to buy a cheap 3rd party utility from the App Store:
http://www.methodred.net/midiplayerx/

Another solution (which is great one really!) is to use Reaper as a preview utility! It is super fast to load and you can preview the files exactly with the specific instruments that you replicated, then when done, drag and drop it into Live or whatever:
Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 8.30.30 PM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”