PC crashes when cable to audio interface is disconnected

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I successfully calibrated my system for input latency, after which my PC crashes when I disconnect the USB cable from the USB port, connected at the other end to a Focusrite 2i2 (2nd Gen). After my PC reboots, I can open Waveform, plug in and disconnect the USB cable without any such problem. A crash occurs only if run a latency test and apply the compensation. Below are the steps I used. Am I overlooking something?

1. Turn off any monitor speakers and disconnect any headphones connected to the audio interface (Focusrite).
2. Connect a cable from the Left output jack on the Focusrite to Input 1 on the (same) Focusrite (loop) -> Connect cable from Focusrite to a USB port on the PC.
3. Turn Gain on Focusrite up to about 50% -> launch Waveform -> Settings -> Audio Devices -> set as follows:

~ Audio device type: ASIO
~ Device: Focusrite USB ASIO
~ Sample rate: 44100 Hz
~ Audio buffer size: 256 samples

4. Select (highlight) "Input 1" in the Channels panel at right, which should be checked as "Enabled."
5. Auto-Detect (panel at bottom) -> Run Test -> sync test results will appear in a pop-up window. In my setup, a delay of 0.2ms was detected.
6. Apply -> turn down Gain on Focusrite -> unplug the patch (loop) cable from the PC. Here is where the crash occurs.

Shut your PC down before disconnecting usb audio. I've always done that (for the last twenty years or so). Why exactly do you want to disconnect your interface without shutting down first?

usb by spec should be hot-pluggable though

so strange you can crash it with a patch lead
-feedback can cause strange things to happen though
it appears to be a digital error/behaviour

imo- start a ticket with Focusrite

Thanks. I use a hot-pluggable port for the Focusrite, so the issue is a mystery. I'll contact Focusrite; in the meantime, I'll shut down my PC if needing the port for some other purpose.

Is it safe to try using a Thunderbolt 4 port on a PC to the audio interface?

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”