How to connect alien desktop for Cubase

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I got this Alienware Aurora R13 game computer for video games but also I have Cubase that I want to run on it.What's the best way to connect it with a midi keyboard and interface? Do I need a card too? Would appreciate help setting this up to record.

Any simple USB audio interface that has a proper ASIO driver will do fine I guess.
Some midi keyboards have USB connections also, so it depends.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:43 am Any simple USB audio interface that has a proper ASIO driver will do fine I guess.
Some midi keyboards have USB connections also, so it depends.
Hey BertKoor, much appreciate it. Sounds pretty straight forward which I kind of thought as much but wanted some thoughts.I'm used to using my Neko XXL "everything is already built in" computer so I never much had to consider things separately and I am probably over thinking what it takes to get going.

Jeez it looks alright
I have the Area 51

I recommend an 8 input soundcard for it

M-Audio or Presonus,
this USB3 model will not go astray==>
https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-192

I have Cubase 9.5 on my area 51

you'll want a keyboard controller too,
unless like me u play guitar

I have the old Presonus 18|24 soundcard, no problems
M-Audio M-Track 8 soundcard too

If you want the best soundcard with lowest latency, you'll want MOTU or RME,
since Windows RME, it's pricy though

-u have been on here so long mate heh, that's such an off it's tits rig
what r u playing at hehe

nix808 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:52 am Jeez it looks alright
I have the Area 51

I recommend an 8 input soundcard for it

M-Audio or Presonus,
this USB3 model will not go astray==>
https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-192

I have Cubase 9.5 on my area 51

you'll want a keyboard controller too,
unless like me u play guitar

I have the old Presonus 18|24 soundcard, no problems
M-Audio M-Track 8 soundcard too

If you want the best soundcard with lowest latency, you'll want MOTU or RME,
since Windows RME, it's pricy though

-u have been on here so long mate heh, that's such an off it's tits rig
what r u playing at hehe
Thanks for the great suggestions nix808. My current workstation is using Presonus Firebox. That Studio 192 looks great. I know I'll need a keyboard controller but I also play guitar and wasn't sure of which ports on the Alien Aurora R13's would be best to use since it doesn't have 1/4 in jacks or xlr. It's loaded with usb type this and that so I'll need to figure those ports out. It's got a bunch of different ports on that thing. I won't have the R13 til the end of this month.I'm just trying to figure out the best way to connect it when it gets here.

dblock wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:15 am I also play guitar and wasn't sure of which ports on the Alien Aurora R13's would be best to use since it doesn't have 1/4 in jacks or xlr.
You can hook up the built-in audio I/O with cables like these:
but that's line level, so not suitable directly for guitar. Good enough though for hooking up monitors or a dinky mixer, but still you don't have low-level ASIO that way.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:24 am
dblock wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:15 am I also play guitar and wasn't sure of which ports on the Alien Aurora R13's would be best to use since it doesn't have 1/4 in jacks or xlr.
You can hook up the built-in audio I/O with cables like these:
but that's line level, so not suitable directly for guitar. Good enough though for hooking up monitors or a dinky mixer, but still you don't have low-level ASIO that way.
Thanks BertKoor. Yeah, RCA jacks and the like are a no go for me. I may be thinking this backwards and I think I'll focus on the Alien R13's ports and what each one is intended for first then worry about interfaces based on what I find out. It's USB-c, 3.1 or is this the same as thunderbolt etc etc. I think I'd be better off starting from the computer ports first to figure out my options.Thanks for all your input.

so glad to have helped,
I had one of those firebox thingies,
but it had an inbuilt power supply, and when that failed,
I gave it away

I understand that it's an 'instrument' input,
that is correctly configured for guitar mate,

actually- this Area 51 is meant to have a native ASIO driver,
which is faster, for realtime playing, but I can't see it in my DAWS.
Typically an ASIO driver can deliver under 256 samples certainly on these things,
even in a heavy project. So 44100/256 equals 1/172 of a second response for guitar

Bert's right though- u can go into the mobo soundcard with such leads

:D

just saw ur reply, and USB is my preferred interface

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”