AU versions are just VST3 to AU wrapper!

Official support for: arturia.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Why do you not provide native AU builds for your plugins and just use VST to AU wrapper?

Im very disappointed with this approach and will stay away from your future products...
Last edited by Enrize on Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

I bet this is the reason i have maxed CPU usage even when idle(!) with just a 10 PianoV2 plugins on my M1 Pro.

Don't tell me such big company like Arturia can't provide native AU builds? Im very disappointed...

A couple things. Are you using a native build of the AU plug in? of Logic?

What makes you think they're using a wrapper? Experience from the past says an AU plug in ported from VST may add at the most a 5% CPU hit over the VST version, so you're not going to see any massive change in CPU using the VST version.

CPU tests not to failure tend to show random results, some plug ins immediately take in 60% CPU, but each plug in past that will only add another 5% for instance. The meter in DAWs is not a linear progression really.

machinesworking wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:45 am A couple things. Are you using a native build of the AU plug in? of Logic?
Yes, all native of course.
machinesworking wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:45 am What makes you think they're using a wrapper?
Its pretty obvious if you analyze content of the Audio Unit package.

Enrize wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:43 am I bet this is the reason i have maxed CPU usage even when idle(!) with just a 10 PianoV2 plugins on my M1 Pro.
No this can't be it. I just ran a test with 10 AU PianoV2 plug ins running in Reaper on an old 2012 Macbook Pro. Which is the same number of VST2 plug ins I can run in Reaper on this old machine. I'm about to head downstairs to the M1, but I'm betting this is a Logic issue, not an AU "wrapper" issue. Typically what people think of as this huge downside to wrappers is pretty much less than 3% at most. Basically the GUI of the plug in is what is different anyway, the rest is pure code with no plug in specific tags. Some companies will make one master VST3 plug in that the others are derived from, but in no way is it some major flaw in the programming. More to the point, what I noticed in the Intel version anyway is Piano V2 is not multithreaded, it's only taxing a single thread on each CPU, that's probably not much different in the M1 version.

I've got Logic loaded on it as well, IMO something is fishy here.

Yeah definitely this isn't about PianoV2 and more to do with something on your system. I just tripled your track count with Piano V2 in Logic on an M1 Air here. playing the same three note MIDI chord on 30 tracks, it only pops up with the dreaded System overload message at 31. 100% CPU usage, it idles at 50%.

Testing again in Reaper I get 32 AUi instances of Piano V2 and 31 VSTi2. so the VSTi2 version is slightly more CPU intensive, probably because the code for graphics in AU is stricter and leaner, just a guess...

So the first thing I would recommend here is to raise your core limit to 8 in Logic, but it looks like you already have if you're using an M1 and not a M1 Max or Pro...

Strange thing for me, that you can't install only VST3 version for example. I don't need VST2...

Alexander_D wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:49 am Strange thing for me, that you can't install only VST3 version for example. I don't need VST2...
Yeah I prefer installers that let me choose, but there are definitely worse, SoundToys installs everything, all plug ins, whether you own them or not... :x

machinesworking wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:36 am
Alexander_D wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:49 am Strange thing for me, that you can't install only VST3 version for example. I don't need VST2...
Yeah I prefer installers that let me choose, but there are definitely worse, SoundToys installs everything, all plug ins, whether you own them or not... :x
Indeed!

Return to “Arturia”