Help w/ routing Es-9, Es-5, 3x Esx-8cvs in Ableton 11

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
Been reading old posts, watched all the tutorials I can find on YT, and the SW manual--but I'm not making much progress.

I'm trying to get 4 tracks of 2CV/2Gates (using up all 8 gates of the ES-5 and all 8 cvs on one of the 8cvs). I also want to use my midi keyboard sliders / knobs to send CV signals to my Eurorack stuff (ideally 16 signals--using 2 other 8cvs).

I'm using SW Voice Controller and I've been able to get two instruments set up using two tracks each (one for 2 gates out of the es-5, and one for 2 pitch out of the x8cv) and those send audio out to the ES-5 (set up with Es-5 plug-in and 8cv combiner). Now when I add anything to the equation I seem to ruin it all.
I kind of get the routing basics with thru tracks and such, but as I troubleshoot, I'm not getting very far. Any tips for the order of the plug-ins?

Things I'm struggling with (if it helps)--why does the SW voice controller only have 6 outputs on the matrix. Why when I activate the x-8cv setting on the hardware tab do I lose the signals I was getting.

I appreciate any help in advance, it's obvious you go through a lot effort on these forums, so I apologize for likely missing something.

EDIT: Using windows VST3s if that matters.

You don't want to use the 8CV mode in the Voice Controller - that's a shortcut for taking over a whole 8CV, and in your case you want to share the 8CV between multiple plug-ins. So leave the VCs in their default mode, and route them to an ESX-8CV Combiner.

That solves that problem. Thank you.

Am I right to have an ES-5 track with 3 8cv combiners in it using the thru inputs or do I need to spread those out? Any advice on how to get 4 voices running with minimal tracks on ableton?

Thanks again!

Using a single track with all the plug-ins that address the ES-5/expanders on it is the correct way.

Alright, I’m making some progress! Got my 4 tracks running, thanks!

Now, am I correct that unless I set up the es-5/combiner plug-in with duplicate inputs, the most gate/cv outputs I can utilize per ableton track is 2? For instance, right now I have 4 tracks to use the 8cv for 8 pitch’s outputs, would I need 4 other tracks to add 2 different envelopes from the voice controller to another 8cv or am I missing something obvious?

More directly, is it possible to use one of those tracks to send 2 pitch and 2 different envelopes from the voice controller (which would spread across 2 8cvs).

Thanks again for the support!

You can use the VC's Output Matrix to assign whatever signals you like to the 6 plug-in outputs.

You can then route these in pairs using Live's tracks. If you want more than one pair out of the VC, you need to make a track which takes input direct from the VC's outputs.

Alright, I think I'm close to pulling everything off, but I ran into an issue. Sorry to keep bothering.

I have the es-5 + 2 gt and 3 8cvs.

Can you help with the es-5 and 8cv combiner routing to make use of them.

I tried to have 4 gates for my 4 voices (taking up my 2 GTs on es-5 headers 2 and 3). Seems to work.
Then I have 4 tracks with SW LFOs to send square waves (clock gates) to the ES-5 header. They work. I'm using three separate midi tracks per voice (2 gates through VC x2 and 1 dedicated to pitch).

Problem is, at least 1 of the LFOs are messing with my gates on my first track (and just my first track for some reason). If I enable the first es-5 plug in with a thru track everything works, but I lose the 8th output, and then my 8cv combiner on my 4th header seems to get bugged and only sends extreme signals (very high, off, very low).

Right now I have 5 Es-5 plugins and 3 8cv combiners. The first es-5 plugin has all eight gates for header 1.
The next two just utilize inputs 3,4,5,6 for gates 1-4 and gates 5-8 on header 2.
The last two do the same for header 3.
Then I have the 3 CV combiners set for headers 4,5,and 6.
All are using thru tracks 1-2.

Any help appreciated in advance!

Could you attach the Live set? If would be easier to debug if I can actually load it up.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”