Alternatives to Jamstix?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

there aren't any, unfortunately. it's quite unique in what it does.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

It doesn’t work on my Monterey. Not sure how you got anything done with it. Screen or gui problems of some kind.

I am able to run it on a windows vepro server but strangely it plays the first bar of beats and then stops producing sound for the remaining bars. No idea why. GUI seems to function though and that is my best option if I can get it working properly.

The drum part editor in superior drummer 3 is actually quite good, it ain’t jamstix but it’s quite good when working with pattern creation and modification and building up songs.

The thing is I don’t really need a tool for constructing the basic patterns. You can do that just as easily in any daw. The beauty of jamstix isn’t that it can come up with patterns. The genius of it is that it can take a pattern you give it and add real player nuance and feel to a degree that I think would be next to impossible to program yourself, or at the very least would be very time consuming. And realistic sounding fills that are slightly different every time in their nuances, etc nothing else really does anything like this, but once you get used to it every other solution just sounds like a robot to me
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

Dewdman42 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:31 pm The thing is I don’t really need a tool for constructing the basic patterns. You can do that just as easily in any daw. The beauty of jamstix isn’t that it can come up with patterns. The genius of it is that it can take a pattern you give it and add real player nuance and feel to a degree that I think would be next to impossible to program yourself, or at the very least would be very time consuming. And realistic sounding fills that are slightly different every time in their nuances, etc nothing else really does anything like this, but once you get used to it every other solution just sounds like a robot to me
I think some of the newer features in EZDrummer3 get close to that functionality. You can feed in audio and it'll come up with a matching drum part, which is pretty neat, then take that drum part and feed it into Song Creator and get an entire song out of it. It's more advanced than what's currently in SD3 and it works pretty well. Up until you hit the bridge and it has the drummer introduce some crazy and awkward fills. :hihi:

But you're right in the sense that it's not as advanced as what Jamstix seems to offer. If they had a stable version that ran on Apple Silicon natively, I'd have already bought it.

Oh that is pretty cool sounding about generating a beat from the audio, LogicPro Drummer can do that also. I don't see myself spending money on EZdrummer3 when I already have SD3...but I will keep that in mind thanks for that tip!

Dewdman42 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:19 pm Oh that is pretty cool sounding about generating a beat from the audio, LogicPro Drummer can do that also. I don't see myself spending money on EZdrummer3 when I already have SD3...but I will keep that in mind thanks for that tip!
Most people, myself included, believe that it will eventually be worked into an SD3 update or a future SD4. Would make sense for Toontrack to add those features to the flagship product. Lately, I've been using EZDrummer3 more than SD4 or BFD3 just because it's so quickly to get going with the new song creator features and the core kits sound excellent. I think BFD3 still edges them out in realism with the cymbal swell modeling, but EZDrummer3 is a great little package.

could be, but I'm not giving Toontrack another $99 for features that should already be in the flagship product, I have numerous SDX expansions, I don't need or want EZX expansions.

Anyway, it still looks like this Bandmate feature isn't really that elaborate it just listens to audio and then can scan your existing known midi loop library looking for matching patterns, if I understand correctly..it doesn't "generate" a matching pattern on the fly like Jamstix and LogicPro drummer can. So guess I would need to buy a few hundred bucks worth of their midi libraries to really make use of that. EZD3 also comes with a lot more midi patterns then SD3 does it looks like. So generally, Toontrack just kind of delivered an awesome tool with SD3, but no content unless you guy still more. EZD is much better value. I paid quite a bit of money for SD3 and the SDX expansions I have now. Pretty unimpressed that it doesn't do pretty much everything EZD can do and then some...but I do think they are some of the best sounding kits that money can buy today. So that is great, but no desire to spend more for EZD3 now... I'll find another solution. But thanks.

whoever mentioned lumbeat - they look cool, especially on iOS, but when I tried to run it on my M1 mac, it just exited immediately. So you can install it, but it doesn't look like they actually work on Mac. I was running Monterey.

chroma wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:25 pm whoever mentioned lumbeat - they look cool, especially on iOS, but when I tried to run it on my M1 mac, it just exited immediately. So you can install it, but it doesn't look like they actually work on Mac. I was running Monterey.
Thank you for the heads up! :tu:
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

So for anyone wondering about Jamstix and MacOS in 2022...here I am doing it...by using VePro7 to host jamstix, inside of Unify. This is definitely not a free solution since it requires purchasing VePro7, Unify and having a spare windows PC laying around. Just for the record this particular PC is 15 years old...its handling the task fine.

You can see here two screenshots from the PC...with Vepro hosting Unify, unify hosting Jamstix...one screenshot is jamstix alone and the other is Jamstix driving AddictiveDrums.. working good!

alone.jpg
withXLN.jpg
A few of us are currently working with the AudioGridder author to try to get something working that can work on a Windows VM on the same computer..but its not there yet...a few bugs...but possibly in the future that will get working...

Well I can say Jamstix is still alive and well if you can figure out a way to keep it going. I happened to already own these other tools and so I can keep using it. There really is nothing like Jamstix. Hopefully in the future Ralph will get it working natively on Mac again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jamstix is really unique in my experience. Hope it stays afloat. Still workin' fine on my WIN 7 machine. Still haven't installed it on my (fairly new to me) WIN 10.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Has anyone visited Rayzoon.com of late? The website is down. Have they closed shop completely? Even the JS4 installer doesn't work :(

Has anyone visited Rayzoon.com of late? The website is down. Have they closed shop completely? Even the JS4 installer doesn't work :(

Zaman wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:01 pm Has anyone visited Rayzoon.com of late? The website is down. Have they closed shop completely? Even the JS4 installer doesn't work :(
Its not down, it looks like they just havent renewed their security cert. Presumably you're using a browser which wont let you access it at all because of that, but with eg Firefox you can actually get there if you override the security warning.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

It's been a year to the day since i posted. Good to at least know the site is still up. Hope all is well.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

I am an active jamstix user...
Jumped on JS forum yesterday and discovered that Ralph did not posted in the forum since a LOT of time. I really hope everything is well for him and JS will be maintained or sold to a company to go on... It's too marvellous to let it die! Now, with the advent of AI, I feel that even more can be achieved

Return to “Instruments”