this is price of a G4

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is this thing really $1600

you know you can get a G4 or an AMD fx 64 with this money. or you could get 3 UAD cards, or powercore.
I know 1600 isn’t too much money these days, but there is a big competition in the market. SO when you could buy a G5 for $1999 you tell me if this is worth the 1600?

edit, i reread your post :-o :oops:

Reboot time, wakes up with plug-ins you had before, responds to MIDI program changes, MIDI beat clock doesn’t need a monitor, is ready for live usage, great stability, low latency, rugged, 100s of pre-installed plug-ins/pre-sets, beautiful sound card, built in MIDI interface…

This was meant for music, and meant to be both a live machine and a perfect “second computer” in a studio situation. People will inevitably hit the ceiling related to CPU cycles on their host computer- this is the next purchase. The G5 is a great computer and is a personal favorite of mine as the host computer/sequencing environment…but was never intended solely for music, will never have the music specific features we offer.

spol wrote:Is this thing really $1600

you know you can get a G4 or an AMD fx 64 with this money. or you could get 3 UAD cards, or powercore.
I know 1600 isn’t too much money these days, but there is a big competition in the market. SO when you could buy a G5 for $1999 you tell me if this is worth the 1600?

spol wrote:Is this thing really $1600
Wont make much of a difference to you Id think, but you can get it for 1399 retail.

Information from SCV the official french distributor...

French official price : 2140 Euros (~2560 $) VAT included.
Street price : 1990 Euros for the moment... (~2400 $ !!!!)
:-o

Ixox wrote:Information from SCV the official french distributor...

Order from america, pay taxes and such and you're still probabaly much lower than that!

ok MaxReverb, I totally agree with what you say this is for live. I am originally a keyboard player not a producer so I can easily understand that receptor is good for live however this product is not really being advertised as a live device. It’s more like a second computer for the studio and since it doesn’t run any “special” plugins then it is only good for when u are out of CPU. You know your company keeps sayin that this has been made for music and its fast as a jet but honestly how much of a difference will it make cuz it runs on linux? It still has only 256 ram and it still only has a 2500+ on it. so an AMD 64 with 2gb ram and a tweaked windows wont be faster than your product? ;-) This 64 computer is the same price as ur product and it will be even faster in a year when software updates for 64 come out. well I dont want to get into the amd 64 discussion but what I am tryin to tell you is that if it wasn’t for live then receptor would be good for like under 1000 bucks. I know receptor has its own sides of being unique, but it has more flaws then it has perfect points. I personally loved to get a receptor but sounds like its just an experimental tool for now and you people don’t provide reports about it. Like all these plug-in protection discussions and the fact that there isn’t a real chart showing how fast this is. So I am going to upgrade my computer to an AMD 64 and I will sell my old computer to get a DSP card. I think it will be worth it. Unless I find some really good reasons to get a receptor. I think your company needs better advertising, receptor would have been a huge breakthrough product, but at the moment no body knows what the heck receptor is.

Regards,
Sina

I got my soon to be wifes, mac from her parents house last weekend. I will be selling it soon, if anyone is interested. It's a g4 and VERY clean.
KVR, my adult playground.
Please, call me Brice.

Robert Randolph wrote:
Ixox wrote:Information from SCV the official french distributor...

Order from america, pay taxes and such and you're still probabaly much lower than that!
sure :wink:

Mighty_Hero wrote:It's a g4 and VERY clean.
Ah, not one of those off-road G4s then? They're usually pretty grimy 2nd-hand. :lol:

Forever,

Kim.

I really like the idea of a hardware VSTi player but it doesn't make financial sense to me. At least not in a studio environment. :?:

For around 400 euros/dollars I can get a barebones PC with a 3GHz processor, 512 MB RAM, a 120 GB harddisk and a gigabit LAN card. Connecting this using FX Teleport to my existing computer and I'll have something more powerful than Receptor for a fourth (25%) of the price of Receptor. The free preinstalled software I can download myself. The rest of the software I need to buy anyway. Add a 200 dollars controller (like the new motorised controllers from Behringer) and you'll have a 100% increase in computing power in a small, quiet and neat system that if correctly configured is stable.

Get a combined audio/MIDI card (grab the new Emu 0404 for 99 dollars) and a 15" flatscreen (can be found for around 250 dollars) and you'll got a stable and powerful live system. Add a UPS and it run even in case of powerglitches.

Since Receptor doesn't have battery power or UPS if there is a powerfailure it has to be restarted. If one instead is using a laptop it just keeps running from the built-in battery.

What is the market segment to be targeted by Receptor? In the studio it's 400% more expensive than a separate PC, live it crashes in case of a powerfalure...

Don't want to piss on your parade but I just don't get it. I've read the Receptor marketing text but since one needs a PC to use Receptor I can as well buy a PC? :shock: :shock: :shock:

invitia wrote:Don't want to piss on your parade but I just don't get it. I've read the Receptor marketing text but since one needs a PC to use Receptor I can as well buy a PC? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Actually, you can use Receptor without a PC. Marketing materials cannot always get into lots of technical detail, although I am pretty sure that our mekting documents mention that you can use Receptor stand-alone.

If you care to understand how Receptor can be controlled exclusively from the front panel, without a PC, you could watch this flash presentation:

http://www.museresearch.com/movie_front_panel_intro.php

Dan
Dan Timis
Software Developer
Muse Research, Inc.

Return to “Muse Research and Development”