Juicysfplugin - a free 64bit SoundFont player

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just want to bring everyone's attention to this great free 64 bit SoundFont player. It's the only decent no-nonsense 64bit SF player that properly loads .sf2 files. It does have some rough edges but the latest release added both ADSR and filter controls.

And most importantly it sounds amazing. Best sound quality I have ever heard from any SoundFont player. So everyone download it and show support for the dev.
https://github.com/Birch-san/juicysfplugin

Disclaimer: I have no connection to the plugin author. Like many I have been for a long time in search of a decent replacement for Cakewalk SFZ+ and this is it.
No signature here!

Thanks for the heads up.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Nice, thanks for posting.

thanx for posting!
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

robotmonkey wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:42 am Like many I have been for a long time in search of a decent replacement for Cakewalk SFZ+ and this is it.
did sfz+ load soundfonts?

AnX wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:12 pm
robotmonkey wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:42 am Like many I have been for a long time in search of a decent replacement for Cakewalk SFZ+ and this is it.
Yes. It was pretty much the only thing that loaded sf2 banks properly. It also sounded decent enough and had good controls for shaping sounds. IL Fruity SoundFont Player was another plugin that could properly load sf2 banks.
No signature here!

Yes it did, but oddly enough not SFZ files.

swatwork wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:57 pm
i see, confusing.....

not the same as rgc audio sfz+ then (didn't rene join Cakewalk?)

AnX wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:00 pm
swatwork wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:57 pm
i see, confusing.....

not the same as rgc audio sfz+ then (didn't rene join Cakewalk?)
Yes, it's that sfz+, the professional version of the freeware sfz, which did support SFZ as well as soundfonts (sf2).

Yes, Rene did go to Cakewalk and worked on Dimension Pro and Rapture amongst other things.

Thanks for the link :)

Kewl! Thanks!! :D
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

Probably worth mentioning that sforzando doesn't really count here; it loads sf2 files, but it converts them into sfz files first. For some of us, that's a benefit (much easier to tweak, perhaps to add velocity-sensitive filters); for others, not so much (it complicates your file system). It's great to have options.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

robotmonkey wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:52 pm
Yes. It was pretty much the only thing that loaded sf2 banks properly. It also sounded decent enough and had good controls for shaping sounds. IL Fruity SoundFont Player was another plugin that could properly load sf2 banks.

One should not confuse the .sfz format with the .sf2 format. But it's easy to do.

Soundfonts (.sf2) can not be read by .sfz players, in general, though they can be converted sometimes. See Sforzando which converts .sf2 to .sfz.

You can also drop SF2, DLS and acidized WAV files directly on the interface, and they will automatically get converted to SFZ 2.0, which you can then edit and tweak to your liking!

https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando.html

Cakewalk SFZ+ does not read .sfz files, it reads .sf2 (soundfont) files.

IL Fruity SoundFont Player was another plugin that could properly load sf2 banks.

https://www.image-line.com/support/flst ... Player.htm

This is a great soundfont player. The problem was the developer disappeared off the face of the earth and it just got cut out of Image-Line's repertoire. It would have been a mighty 3rd party .sf2 player, but alas...

It's 32-bit and I don't know if it can be bridged in newer versions of FLStudio. They say it is (32 Bit non-bridgable, Windows Only).

So maybe not.

It's why I keep a working copy of 32-bit FLStudio around.

Just don't confuse .sf2 with .sfz (two very incompatible formats) and you'll be good.

Very few programs can make up .sf2 files. Vienna, Wien, can. Though many programs can read them. Energy XT2 sampler (just drag and drop baby), plus more!

Plogue Sforzando can read .sfz and convert .sf2 to .sfz on the fly - quite unique. And works quite well.

https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando.html

Wusikstation can also make up .sfz files from samples you drop in.

Hopefully I didn't get anything wrong there. Feel free to correct me if I did!

Energy XT2 sampler in action.

Actually, it's called 'Synthesizer' in the program, but it's a Sampler as well.

A very powerful and useful Soundfont (.sf2) player!

Nice !!
I have been looking for a good basic 64 bit sf2 player for a while now.

I had been relying on Sforzando, but as others have noted Sforzando doesn't play sf2 directly, it converts the sounds into sfz format which seems to take up a whole lot more disk space than the original sf2 file does.

I'm just curious why Juicysfplugin has to keep trying to connect to google-analytics.com, is that a function of the Juce framework, or something the developer has implemented ?

- Jay

Return to “Instruments”